Author Topic: 243 FTF's only w/ specific ammo brands or types/  (Read 2214 times)

Offline cpileri

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: 243 FTF's only w/ specific ammo brands or types/
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 02:18:11 PM »
Happy to report that the new receiver works flawlessly.  Took a lot of time on the "barrel fitting" threads, and a file of my own on all 3 barrels.

Of note, I used a sharpie marker instead of 'candle smoking' the breech face and latch surfaces.  i didnt let the ink dry and it worked just fine.

I made sure the breech face was flat and even, and leveled out the latch surfaces. But the key seemed to be the lug recess, a tiny bit deeper and it was locked in with ZERO visible gap and no feeler guage would slip in! 

I got to the point where i feel actually pretty confident I could do it again!  I used the 20ga as my 'tester barrel' since I have another 20ga The Boy likes.  But once I didnt mess up the 20ga, I did the 243 and 30-30 just fine.  I am thinking I might even try the ROSSI 22LR barrel- that's how confident i feel right now!  (*)

I still have this bogus lemon of a receiver: receiver is pristine except for some dings around the holes from pin removal and reinsertion.  Hammer face has been filed down a bit.  Transfer bar "falls" per previous post (i have a replacement still in the bag from Numrich); and firing pin spring has been snipped.  I bet the trigger guard has some dings I havent seen from pin insertion difficulties.  I am not going to check as I hope to NEVER take it apart again.  Maybe I'll use it as a parts gun.  Or a paperweight.  Maybe I'll sell it, if someone likes a 'fixer upper'.  Whatever. 

Anyone know if I can send the receiver alone back to H&R with a note to "fix this"?  no barrel fitting, no explanation (other than these posts) just a generic "this is totally useless as a firearm, so fix it please"?  and will that cost more than its worth?

Anyway, thanks indeed for all the advice and for a superlative, informative forum.  I was really turned OFF by my experience with this particular receiver,and now am 'redeemed' and like these things alot.

C-

(*): knowing me, i will wait, and read for another month before i try the 22LR  Rossi bbl.  I have some 'cooky' ideas that SOUND reckless.  But really i am rather cautious with this stuff.  But I sure do want a 22LR barrel for my handi collection... I mean for my kids to use... :)
and that without them
we should have no knowledge of it at all."
~ Martin Luther

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 243 FTF's only w/ specific ammo brands or types/
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »
GREAT NEWS!!!!!

SO Glad you have a relyable working handi!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.