Author Topic: How often has this happened to you?  (Read 685 times)

Offline ShootnStr8

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
How often has this happened to you?
« on: January 29, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »
My handloads are only but so uniform.  Variations in velocities are something that I have always experienced.  While I have had duplicate velocities, I have never had 3 rounds give the exact same velocity in a row. 

However, while chronographing a good number of loads yesterday, my friend shot a 3 round group out of this 270 WSM.  All registered velocities of 3174 fps.  I wish I can say that he was using my handloads, but he was shooting Federal Premiums that use 130 grain Barnes TSXs.  I must say that I was impressed!  BTW, these remarkable cartridges yield 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards out of his Rem 700.   

How often have you experienced a standard deviation of 0 at the range?  I was wondering what benchrest shooters experience. 

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline jhalcott

Re: How often has this happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 04:15:33 PM »
 FIRST I have never got a 3/4 INCH group at 300 yards! Maybe 3/4 MOA(~2.25"), and that with a VERY accurate BENCH rifle. I have gotten down to the single digit SD with a couple varmint rigs, though. I rarely worry about the velocity till I have a consistently accurate load,say 1 inch at 100 yards. Then I start to really tweak the load to see if it LOOKS like it will shrink much.. Depending on the intended use of the gun, I may just go with it as is.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
Never,
Bench guys can usually get the ES an SD in the single digits, but thats with 10 or 20 rounds not just 3.
found elsewhere

Offline DannoBoone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »
I did it last year in a Savage 10MLII with a custom .45 PacNor
barrel. To say the least, I was amazed. The powder for the loads
had been weighed and of course the loads were compressed as
much as one can do with a ramrod. Two rounds were identical
and the third was only 6fps off. Holes in the target were
touching each other.
We need to change our politicians
like we do dirty diapers.............
for the same reason.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »
I one time cronoed some shotgun ammo I loaded that did that. The thing that makes it more remarkable is that they were 7/8 oz, 1 oz, 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz loads that I did it with. I fired 1 ea. just to see what I had.

Offline DON IN VA

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »
My handloads are only but so uniform.  Variations in velocities are something that I have always experienced.  While I have had duplicate velocities, I have never had 3 rounds give the exact same velocity in a row. 

However, while chronographing a good number of loads yesterday, my friend shot a 3 round group out of this 270 WSM.  All registered velocities of 3174 fps.  I wish I can say that he was using my handloads, but he was shooting Federal Premiums that use 130 grain Barnes TSXs.  I must say that I was impressed!  BTW, these remarkable cartridges yield 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards out of his Rem 700.   

How often have you experienced a standard deviation of 0 at the range?  I was wondering what benchrest shooters experience. 

Blessings!

Shootnstr8

If he has a factory rifle, and the physical abilities to shoot it so as to attain a 3/4" group at 300 yds.,  that to me is much more amazing than having a standard deviation of zero in bullet speed !!!  :o
Temper is a quality that at a critical moment brings out the best in steel and the worst in people.

Offline ShootnStr8

• Moderators
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
Catfish, that is truly remarkable.  I didn't realize that you could get such consistency from shotshells especially among differing loads. 

Don, I agree.  He is a good shot and he was using a lead sled.  The range is narrow and completely enclosed by a 2O foot (?) high mount of dirt which serves to reduce the affects of the wind.  The bench is of cinderblock and cement construction.  It is a wonderful place to test loads.   

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal