Author Topic: before I send a Leupold off, a question please  (Read 1136 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
before I send a Leupold off, a question please
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:41:19 AM »
I bought a used Vari-X III 3.5-10.  the adjustments are smooth and don't click.  according to the serial number it is made in 1976. 

the optics are awesome at the low power. the problem is that just under 8x and higher it goes out of focus and can not be focused nor changing the parallax will correct it.  it gets blurry.

just wanted to make sure there is not something I am overlooking before I send it back.

thanks
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: before I send a Leupold off, a question please
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:37:41 AM »
Is it one of the older ones with parallax adjustable objective? If so then yes something is definitely wrong. If it doesn't have AO then honestly that's been my experience with all of them I've owned even brand new meaning I don't think it can be fixed.

Scopes over 9X NEED parallax adjustment badly and for me are unusable without it. Since I hate having to adjust the objective when hunting I no longer buy scopes with AO for hunting use. I see no need for more than 8X or 9X when big game hunting anyway so stick with them and they work fine without AO or SF to adjust parallax.

Focus is done with the ocular bell and should be done looking at the sky or some light solid color object at a distance. Turn it and take if away from your eye and check it again and again until the cross hairs are dark and sharply in focus. Then don't touch that again while the scope is on that gun. If you try to adjust it without taking your eye away the eye will compensate and you'll not get sharp focus.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:52:46 AM »
first any varix III should have click ajustments. At least everyone ive owned and seen. Greaybeard is right in that most scopes dont focus well past 9x but the varixIII 3.5x10 i have does fine at 10x. Now the new 4x12 redfield i have is useless past 9x. Maybe its the better opitics of the varxIII or maybe i just go lucky with mine but i usually wont buy a scope more powerful then 9x without a ajustable objective or a side focus. It defineatly needs a trip back to the factory to address the non click ajustments and im sure they will check out the focus problem at the same time.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:46:34 AM »
I've had several older Vari-X III scopes with the friction type adjustments. That's the way they started them out then changed to click adjustments. Just means it's a real old one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:04:02 AM »
wow your real old!!  ;D  I cant recall ever seeing one with friction ajustments.
I've had several older Vari-X III scopes with the friction type adjustments. That's the way they started them out then changed to click adjustments. Just means it's a real old one.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:11:09 AM »
Yup Lloyd I'm old. I began scoping rifles with the old Weaver B and J series scopes, graduated to Redfield then to Leupold a very long time ago. I can recall at least one of the 1.5-5 and one 3.5-10 with the friction adjustments and seems like there was another that I'm not able to recall just which it was.

They are still floating around out there like that but ya don't see them often.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 05:31:45 AM »
My 2.5 -8 Leupold has the friction adjustments too. I'm not really that old but I did buy this scope used about 20 years ago.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »
well this shouldn't come as a big surprise to anybody but Leupold fixed the scope and shipped it back free of charge even though I offered to be billed for repairs.  Looks like they gained a customer for life. 
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »
john keyes, you gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 01:07:28 AM »
well this shouldn't come as a big surprise to anybody but Leupold fixed the scope and shipped it back free of charge even though I offered to be billed for repairs.  Looks like they gained a customer for life.

YUP, Same here brother!!

I have also sent scopes to them for reticule changes and received them back WITH A BILL for the job.  NOT PAID FOR before being shipped back to me!!!  That's unheard of today!!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 02:21:06 AM »
Interesting...to GB's point though....I have a VX-IIc that is 4x12x50 and it does NOT have AO.  Does the larger objective bell correct parralex???
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 04:01:40 AM »
Interesting...to GB's point though....I have a VX-IIc that is 4x12x50 and it does NOT have AO.  Does the larger objective bell correct parralex???

Thats kinda a baited question. Paralax is correct at something over 125 yards.  More or less the same for all scopes that are not A.O. or labled rimfire.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 04:47:45 AM »
Thanks CW....I have quite a few 4x12s and 6x18s and all have AO, except this one....haven't had any issues with it though it sits on a 243 and hasn't used it in the field on game yet. 
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »

Yep you are right, I am not surprised.  I am glad you sent it in, Leupold is stellar.

Leupold has me for life as well.

yooper77