Author Topic: Gun Cleaning?  (Read 1632 times)

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Gun Cleaning?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 03:34:35 AM »
I shot my XP-100 anywhere from 200 to 500 times a week . I went thru. 3 of them in 7 BR. If I did not clean them I would get a pattern not a group .

I can believe that.
The difference is the average Joe won't shoot that much in several years!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 03:41:40 AM »
I know but when someone ask a ? we should tell a complete ansewer . Truth is someone asking about cleaning a gun hasn't shot the gun enough to know if it needs cleaning or only makes noise and not groups. I had the son of a friend ask what could be wrong with his gun he was missing deer . I ask how it shot on paper to which he ansewered well a few years ago..... long story short he cleaned it and it improved then he got some ammo like he sighted in with and it was good as new . Go figure  ::)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 03:46:44 AM »
Yep, heard that story many times!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 05:07:26 AM »
NEF/H&R does blue the inside of the bore.  Sometimes that's what's on the patches.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »
My partner is a cleaning freak.  He cleans his guns everytime he takes them out shooting.  On a two week float trip he will clean his guns every night before going to bed.  I'm just the opposite, I clean all my guns twice a year.  Does not matter if it's been shot a lot or not at all it gets cleaned in the spring and then again in the fall.  The rest of the year they just get shot. 

My partner is constantly trying to duplicate the shots I make while we are hunting togeather.  I don't think about it much I just find a good rest, control my breathing, time my heart beat, and take the shot.  My barrel is always fouled so I don't have to worry about shooting from a clean barrel and the shot being off.  His first shot is always off by a foot or more.  His second shot will come in closer, then his third shot will be dead on.  He still refuses to believe shooting from a clean barrel is throwing his shots off.  He thinks it's just him, not being able to settle down and make that first shot good.  He has missed, or wounded, several wolves that should have been solid hits between 500 and 700 yards.  I no longer let him make the first shot when we find a pack feeding.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 08:08:09 AM »
I have a friend like that.  I've finally convinced him to only clean about every 150 rounds or so.  His accuracy has really improved.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 08:11:24 AM »
Nice thing about chaps like that is that they make me look like a pretty good shot  ;).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 04:54:20 AM »
My partner is a cleaning freak.  He cleans his guns everytime he takes them out shooting.  On a two week float trip he will clean his guns every night before going to bed.  I'm just the opposite, I clean all my guns twice a year.  Does not matter if it's been shot a lot or not at all it gets cleaned in the spring and then again in the fall.  The rest of the year they just get shot. 

My partner is constantly trying to duplicate the shots I make while we are hunting togeather.  I don't think about it much I just find a good rest, control my breathing, time my heart beat, and take the shot.  My barrel is always fouled so I don't have to worry about shooting from a clean barrel and the shot being off.  His first shot is always off by a foot or more.  His second shot will come in closer, then his third shot will be dead on.  He still refuses to believe shooting from a clean barrel is throwing his shots off.  He thinks it's just him, not being able to settle down and make that first shot good.  He has missed, or wounded, several wolves that should have been solid hits between 500 and 700 yards.  I no longer let him make the first shot when we find a pack feeding.
Do you ever oil your bore between cleanings, or does alot of shooing keep in from developing rust?
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2011, 05:12:22 AM »
I dont even want to take the risk of a bore developing rust! Yes I oil my bores with 'Ed's Red' (two patches pushed through) and wipe it dry (two or three patches) before shooting and run three to five foulers and they usually settle right down to POA. I need the practice anyway.
At deer camp no, its fouled and ready and stays just that way until done, and the gun does not go inside, but stays cold, so it doesnt 'sweat'.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2011, 05:16:12 AM »
Yep it only takes $8.00-$10.00 dollars worth of ammo and a $10.00 range trip to get them to shoot right again.

Modern ammo doesn't rust bores.

I almost never oil a bore.  WD-40 is ok for that because it evaporates quickly.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2011, 06:31:16 AM »
No, it 'costs' me a buck or two in my reloads...........and like I said, I need the practice anyway.
I bought 'em to shoot.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »
Inaccurate practice.....I'm sure that helps.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2011, 10:32:55 AM »
oil in the bore can migrate to the action or wood. If it gets around the fireing pin and you keep cold so it won't sweat you could have a hard time getting the gun to fire in cold weather. Just saying ...
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »
Now I did not say I clean after every session. But I have seen bores with rust that have not been oiled and put into 'storage'. Yeah, you thought you would shoot it again next week and 6 mo. later...........especially in humid environments. My guns have cost too much to leave it to chance; do what you want with yours. Oh, and I see a bunch of those kind on gun show tables for sale.
And I did say at deer camp it is fouled (or conditioned, if you prefer); that bore has been dried out and a few shots fired as I described, before season, -0- has been verified, etc. and I know where the 1st shot out of that cold, 'conditioned' bore is going to print.
All trigger time is practice.
Works for me, do what works for you.
 ;D
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special