Author Topic: help on turkey setup for 20 guage  (Read 498 times)

Offline redhedder

• Trade Count: (0)
help on turkey setup for 20 guage
« on: February 02, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »
I have decided to order a 20ga barrel for my pardner combo. My 10 yr old son will shoot the gun too. What length and set up would you suggest? I have little experience with chokes and stuff but need the recoil to be as light as possible. What sights does the barrel come with and what would be your suggestion on those as well? Thanks

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: help on turkey setup for 20 guage
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:24:13 AM »
Get the longest barrel available, that will help with recoil. I think all of the shotgun barrels come with bead sights except for the rifled slug barrels (unless you can find an old Tracker 1 barrel which was a smooth bore slug gun). As far as chokes go get either a full choke or screw in choke model.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: help on turkey setup for 20 guage
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:15:06 AM »
+1 on Doublebass73 you can get the 20ga barrel drilled and tapped and put a red on it to. I like the tru glo 2X red dots. If your 10 year old is gunna use it put a youth stock on it, correct fit will reduce felt recoil. I have a TDC 20ga and with an HS Strut ported turkey choke and Remington 3" #5 turkey loads  I am confident out 40 yards.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga