Author Topic: question on storing guns  (Read 876 times)

Offline outdoorman

• Trade Count: (0)
question on storing guns
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:34:10 AM »
I want to prevent my stored pistols and rifles from rusting. Most of them dont get shot very often (some never) and only get pulled out of their cases once a year or so to get wiped down with oil. Ebay has bulk silicon dessicant packs that often find in shoe boxes and I'm wondering if dropping one of these in a rifle case, pistol case or a 50 cal box full of ammo would be good for preventing rust from humidity. Also how do you know when its time to replace? Can these be put into oven and recharged?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: question on storing guns
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 09:43:40 AM »
When you say they are pulled from their cases that makes me think the soft cases many use to transport and some use to store firearms in. If so I highly recommend you NOT do that as they promote rusting believe me I found that out the hard way over 40 years ago. Newer ones might be less prone but having learned the hard way I never leave a gun in a soft case any longer than necessary for short term transport.

Hard cases using foam are far more forgiving and don't seem to create rust like soft cases so. What helps prevent rust best in my experience is to have them wiped free of finger prints before putting them away and store them so air freely circulates around them. Even here in Bama with our super high humidity guns stored thusly seldom rust.

Rig grease is sort of the industry standard for long term storage protection of firearms.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »
Clean and oil them and vac bag them. The hand guns, anyhow.

Offline The Dane

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
Silica-gel can be recharged in the oven  at @85degC~185degF for about an hour or so.
For guns i would opt for a light oiling and a sealed plastic bag.
For ammo in airtight cans Silica-gel packs is kosher.