Author Topic: Reloading help  (Read 641 times)

Offline bigbird09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Reloading help
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
Its gonna be sometime before I can get into reloading, unless I come across some money some how,  but I do want to get started getting a list together of what I will need, and maybe start getting some of the cheaper stuff, and a few books.  So if you ya'll would be so kind as to give me a bare bones have to have equiptment list of the stuff that I will need to at least get started into reloading.  Then maybe a secondary list of the stuff to start getting the most out of my hand loads.  Also what is a good caliber to start reloading in?  I have a .223 that I will be reloading for that I know, but I possibly might pick up another handi this summer or fall.  I know that I want a 45/70 sometime, so would that be something good to reload for, or should I go with something smaller in the pistol calibers such as .357 or .44 mag.

Thanks Guys
Levi
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Reloading help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
Reloading is not difficult, if it were, I wouldn't be doing it myself. Research alot and then research some more. I am always learning something from my readings here at GBO and other online sources. Pay attention, stay organized, keep a neat workspace, research some more and keep good documents. Everything else will fall into place.

Equipment list for straight wall pistol cases:
Single-stage press
Reloading Manuals/Books
powder scale
powder funnel
Carbide die set (no case lube required)
loading blocks
primer pocket brush
priming tool
storage boxes
steel dial caliper

Please chime in if I have missed anything.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:47:14 PM »
Ya my problem mostly is gonna be documentation, organization, and keeping my space clean.  Another question what do you use to keep your notes in?  I have thought that I may be a either a big 3 ring binder or a couple smallers ones, and have load detail, as well as keeping the targets that I used during shooting for reference.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »
I use a small binder and label them by caliber. They are easier to handle at the range. It doesn't look like they have any available from their online store, but here's where I got mine.

http://www.gunloads.com/store/

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
When I got back into reloading my money was tight too. I went with the Lee Hand Press and Lee dies. Can afford a bench press now and different brands of dies but really like the portability of the hand press. I can take it anywhere I feel like and work on my reloading. Also I have no problem with any of my Lee dies. I'm about to buy another set of them in the next day or so. Majority of my load data is from the Hodgdon website. More money saved there too. GBO also helps out tremendously with any questions any of us may have.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 02:09:52 AM »
I see a couple of posts have addressed the issue of funding shortages, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's broke! ;D
Seriously though, if you want to save some money (and who doesn't) you should consider used gear. Everything I own is used wuith the exception of my .380 ACP dies.  I've yet to hear of reloading gear ever wearing out.
As far as reloading pistol cartridges, the .357 is a joy to reload. Components are plentiful and there's a wealth of information available for it. It's also a very forgiving cartridge to load for.
sS far as equipment goes, Dinny put together a very complete list. The only thing I disagree with is the dial caliper, I prefer a digital. But a dial will certainly do the job. Carbide dies area MUST. They save time, aren't messy, and eliminate the possibility of case lube fouling your powder.
You may want to get a tumbler, it's not required. A tumbler will clean and polish your cases making for a better looking cartridge along with elimintaing the possibility of scratched cases from dirt comtamination. A clean cartridge is also easier to inspect for cracks. But tumblers and their media is a topic for another post, as opinions vary widely and most are valid. ;)
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 03:10:19 AM »
First off welcome to reloading!!

Secondly THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GOOD USED GEAR!!! 
  Actually I ALWAYS recommend it to new loaders, over ~cheap, poor quality~ new items!!! Most used gear is not used allot and as long as you buying good names, (NEVER buy cheap loading stuff used!!) you will be fine. I have many presses, most are used, as a matter of fact I can only remember ever buying one press new! One thing I do not recommend buying used, is a scale. But if your experienced and have a set of weights a used scale can be OK.

Notes are an excellent idea! At first I used a spring bound paper notebook and later I made up my own pages on the computer. I also made up stickers for my boxes. I started numbering my loads. Its like a invoice number its at the top of each page and each sticker. ALL loads get recorded and at the bottom of the page I have a area for notes. In my range bag is a small pocket note pad with a pencil. I make notes on accuracy of groups or problems that get recorded on the bottom of the page of the loading journal.

Set up somewhere away from distractions. A radio on lo is OK if your like me and don't like church silence. But a TV or children running about are big NO-NOs! I like a solid bench waist high with a double thing top. Two sheets of 3/4" ply works well. Sturdy 2x6 or 4x4 legs. Plans for them can actually be found in some loading manuals.

eBay has some deals but I'll wager if you have gun shoppes around you and you ask you can get some if not all you need is available there. Places like Craigslist or Bargain news papers list sporting goods sections.

Even our own classifieds carry good deals if you watch. We have many experienced members willing and able to help thru our public forums or thru personal messages.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dickttx

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 03:24:20 AM »
+1 on the used equipment.  But you need to find it locally, face to face, or shipping cost can overwhelm you.
I recently bought a NIB scale on another forum from someone who got it in a trade.  Paid the $35 he quoted me.  He later e-mailed me that it had cost him $17 to ship! 

Offline 3006softpoint

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 06:32:05 AM »
I will give you alittle idea how I got started 2 years ago I bought the lee hand press kit (hand press/ram prime/lube/funnel) Tryed to reload 30-06 full length dies ( you have to be a hulk to size long action rounds with hand press) So bought a rock chucker supreme and use the hand press for seating bullets! Thats the ticket! One cast press (o style) and a hand press! Since then I bought another hand press and lee univeral decapping die ! So a cast press for resizing cases one hand press for decapping and 1 hand press for seating bullets! If doing pistol brass you could get by with a hand press kit! Don't forget the trim tools you would need for rifle cases! A lee scale works good also!Its a great hobbie hope you can round up everything you need! Dale

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  I am looking to get everything that I need used, guess I should have put that, but didn't think of it at the time.  I do have a small digital scale that I used for arrow componets, would it be ok for reloading? I think it goes to like 50 grams.  Also already have a RCBS balances,  which one would I be better off using for powder measureing, or even weighing completed rounds?

Would a pistol round be better for loading over a 45/70 or about the same?

Also there's not many people around here that I know of that reload,  I'm sure theres some but I don't know them.  I haven't checked craigslist, but I may head over that way when the time comes,  so I'm probably gonna have to end up getting most stuff online, probably this site.

Levi

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »
Your arrow scale won't work, it sounds like it doesn't go low enough. Powder charges are measuerd in grains, and 437.5 grains equals an ounce.  A typical charge for a .357 is around a dozen grains or so, that should tell you how small the amount of powder is that goes into a cartridge.   I'm thinking the .45-70 uses around 60 grains or so, but don't quote me.
 You might be able to find some reloading gear at a local gun show, but if you can't check out gunbroker, or the classified section of this sight. With a little patient searching you'll be able to find all you need at a fraction of the cost of new.
Be forewarned though, reloading is QUITE habit forming.  ;D
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 07:16:04 AM »
yes it will measure in grains, but I'm not sure what its max is on grains, just grams.  Its suppose to be +/- .01 accurate and I believe it measures out to .01

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 07:33:57 AM »
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/51

This is prolly the least expensive way to start reloading. Plus, you learn a lot when starting this way; what each step is, how it's done and why. I began this way in about '78 and soon moved to a single stage press and aquired my equipment piece by piece as I could afford it...

Offline wncchester

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »
Buying used stuff MAY be an asset but not if you pay too much.  My rule of thumb for equipment in excellant condition is no more than 50%  of what I can get it for new, any closer to new than that gets too high to make it a real deal.  Used stuff picked up locally is fine but most of what we see sold on web auctions often sell for too much, frequently MORE than new!    And you do have to include the cost of shipping in the end price.

I would not be concerned about buying anything used but I've been doing this a loong time and know where to look to find damage, sadly you don't have that experience so look anything you see carefully.   I've bought used presses and dies that looked like hades  on the surface but were actually quite sound and cleaned up nicely so the rough appearance was actually a good bargaining point for me. 

Use your excellant and properly calibrated beam scale.  Electronic scales add nothing to the scales most important function of weighing powder.   Trying to convert grams to grains would be a PITA even if the scale was sufficently sensitive and accurate, which isn't likely.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 12:37:58 AM »
I've only been loading for about 6 yrs and a couple things I started from the beginning is double check what you are about to do,set only the components you are going to be useing for that load on your bench,take my time (because I'm in charge) label every batch I do,and I also dont reload when distractions may occur (kids,wife etc.) oh and avoid alcohol and smoking. This is just how I like to do it but others will set there own personal ways of it.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 03:38:25 AM »
Your arrow scale won't work, it sounds like it doesn't go low enough. Powder charges are measuerd in grains, and 437.5 grains equals an ounce.  A typical charge for a .357 is around a dozen grains or so, that should tell you how small the amount of powder is that goes into a cartridge.   I'm thinking the .45-70 uses around 60 grains or so, but don't quote me.
 You might be able to find some reloading gear at a local gun show, but if you can't check out gunbroker, or the classified section of this sight. With a little patient searching you'll be able to find all you need at a fraction of the cost of new.
Be forewarned though, reloading is QUITE habit forming.  ;D

I agree about getting a scale that measures in grains. I don't agree with GH1's generalities about the typical charges, because that can vary a lot more than that by the powder selected, bullet weight, and gun to be used.  Get a scale made for reloading, and a good reloading manual.  One place to start as far as manuals go is the Lyman Reloading Handbook.  Get the latest edition (my newest is 48 but maybe there's a newer one).  Stick to the data when measuring your charges out before seating bullets.  Everyone's made some good suggestions in this thread, but I think that a good manual should be the starting point.  Get one, read it, and when you get started, refer to it.