Author Topic: Colt RE-Issue Revolvers Question  (Read 1308 times)

Offline sherppa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Colt RE-Issue Revolvers Question
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:28:06 AM »
Where the Colt Revolvers that were recently manufactured (recent meaning the last 40 years) actually manufactured by Colt.  Or was it contracted out and they just put them in a Colt box?

sherppa

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Colt RE-Issue Revolvers Question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:16:53 AM »
I am pretty sure they were manufactured under contract in Italy.  Parts may have been assembled in the USA, but I don't think so.  I did shoot a friends Colt 1861 re-issue quite a while back, and remember it to be a well made revolver.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:52:27 AM »
2nd Generation C series Colt's (1851 Navies and 3rd Model Dragoons) were made by Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc, in Hartford from 1971 through 1978 of semi finished parts provided by Italian and US manufacturers.  F series 2nd Gens were made in Middlesex, NJ by Iver Johnson of the same semi finished parts.  All 2nd Gens were inspected, accepted, marketed, sold, and warranted by Colt's

Signature series Colt's were made from 1994 through 2002 by The Colt Blackpowder Arms Company in Brooklyn, NY.  They were operating under a license from Colt's to use the Colt name.  Sig Series guns were made from semi finished parts provided by Italian and US companies same as the 2nd Gens; but Colt's had no part in the inspecting, marketing, selling, or warrantying of the Sig Series guns.

Here is a link to an article about the Colt BP guns.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/cap--ball-resurrection
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline sherppa

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
thank you, I appreciate the help!

sherppa