Author Topic: need help designing a safe black powder cannon???  (Read 911 times)

Offline c497

• Trade Count: (0)
need help designing a safe black powder cannon???
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:21:53 AM »
i need help desinging a black powder cannon i would like it to have a 2 inch bore and be about 2 1/2 foot long i would like to know how thick the wall thickness should  be and how to design a safe breech plug ??? ?

Offline cjensen

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: need help designing a safe black powder cannon???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:44:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
This is where I would start.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,89682.0.html

My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.

Offline c497

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:03:29 AM »
thanks for the link  :)

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:06:38 AM »
Welcome, c497...your starting on the right track...asking questions, studying the links, and I'm sure you will get lots more comments, these guys are here to enjoy their fun seriously! In other words, they are serious about how they build and shoot their Cannons, Mortars, and Howitzers, and they really enjoy the smoke and fire! Main rule, Safety Always First!...BoomLover...
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:36:19 AM »
Following the guidelines in the safety standard we always point her on this board and spelled out the link above for  2 inch bore you need a piece of steel 6  inches  in diameter.   

Have you given any thought to which  cannon you are going to replicate?  That will determine how long the barrel should be. 2-1/2' will be short.

A 8inch siege howitzer scaled down to 2 inch bore would 15-1/2" long.  6 PDR Model 1841 pattern would be have to 36 inches ling in 2 inch bore.

Get some plans of a cannon design you like and do some scaling before buying steel.

First question to ask yourself is why 2 inch bore and what will you shoot in it?