Author Topic: Want to shorten 357 maxi for youngster. Legal overall length?  (Read 824 times)

Offline clearwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Want to shorten 357 maxi for youngster. Legal overall length?
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:46:20 AM »
The 357 maxi is too heavy for my son for offhand shooting/ hunting. Found a  smith who will
cut the barrel to 16 1/2" and tap for a front site. Will use a Williams peep in the back.

I have ordered a youth stock, and want to know if the overall length would still be legal?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Want to shorten 357 maxi for youngster. Legal overall length?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:47:13 AM »
Overall length minimum is 26".  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Tencubed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:17:53 AM »
You might consider having that bbl Magna-Ported to reduce muzzle jump and be ready for a lot of muzzle blast even without the porting.

I've got a 45-70, which I know is a lot bigger cartridge, in a 16" bbl and the muzzle really comes up.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:19:36 AM »
Not trying to sound like a jerk here but if he can't hold up a 7 pound rifle then maybe he isn't ready to be hunting. You have to hold up the rifle to aim it and you have to aim it to make good shots so...... :-\
Don't take this wrong... I think all kids should have the opportunity to get into the woods and hunt... but only when they're ready.

Spanky

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
I sure wouldn't muzzle tame it.The blast will make him jump.I had one rifle that was.Sold it to the first guy that was interested.The maxi isn't bad in the recoil department any way.I plan on putting my Grand son behind mine.And he's a little snot for 13.Just my 2 cents and probably not worth half that.Slow
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »
I have a Talo 357 that I Maxed and I don't think it has much muzzle blast or jump. If the muzzle blast or muzzle rise is an issue he could shot 38 spc or 357 mags out of it.  I know folks that kill deer with factory 125 grain HPs out of 6" barrel revolvers so a lighter load would work in your Maxi. 

Don't you love it when we answer questions that you did not ask? ::)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:28:54 PM »
heck, when my grandson wasa 9 or ten.... we cut down a 45/70 to (iirc) 18" an he used a homemade shoot'n stick ;D... he drop tha first doe that stuck'er head out tha tree line. next day he flopped a 8 point dead in his tracks. tha stick lasted till he figured out he cud handle wifout it.
prolly bouta week... once they feel tha blood flow'n....they'll hold upa 03A3 8)

after 4 years he still totes that rifle today and hesa gud wifit too  ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »
once they feel tha blood flow'n....they'll hold upa 03A3 8)

+1 to that
It's funny how they get lighter when there's a deer in front of 'em. ;D ;D

Spanky

Offline clearwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 01:13:31 PM »
Not trying to sound like a jerk here but if he can't hold up a 7 pound rifle then maybe he isn't ready to be hunting. You have to hold up the rifle to aim it and you have to aim it to make good shots so...... :-\
Don't take this wrong... I think all kids should have the opportunity to get into the woods and hunt... but only when they're ready.

Spanky

Glad I'm not married to you. Don't really need opinions about things you are ignorant about.

A 9 pound rifle for him is like 28 lb rifle for me. If I can get it down to 6 lbs
and make it more fun for him, maybe he will keep the sport up.

Offline AA080

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right track to get his gun lightened up! Have you thought about one of them skeleton stocks?

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 02:57:38 PM »
I built my Grandson an ultra lite 357 max, he used it this deer season quite successfully. Dropped a nice 8 pt. It weighs about 5 1/2 lbs with a2 4/4 scope .He shoots it very well with full bore 357 loads without even noticing the recoil. Kids adapt very quickly, shorten the bbl to 16" get a synthetic youth stock , a low power compact scope and go for it. I tapered the barrel to reduce weight but fluting will work also. 
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline jason045

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 06:12:09 PM »
Ive got a maxi for my 9 year old son that has a 16.5"barrel and a synthetic youth stock set.  It is just a shade over 30" (iirc) so no problems on length there.  My dad, his pawpaw, also fluted the barrel for him and reduced the weight by over 1 1/2 pounds.  It has a really nice feel to it now and it balances right around the hinge pin area.  Very easy for him to shoot, even offhand.
You never know when ya got too much gun, but ya dang sure know when ya aint got enough!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 02:08:59 AM »
My 16.5 inch Maxi is on a BC Carbine stock.  It doesn't muzzle jump or blast seriously.  A kid could practice with .38s and mags.  With .38s, it's not much more than a .22.  IMHO, it's a great rifle for a kid to start out with......and keep.  I've seen folks giving kids semi-auto .22s and a brick of ammo and they never learn to SHOOT.  They just chuck a lot of bullets around.  The Handis have made me a better hunter and marksman.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 02:17:46 AM »

Spanky

Glad I'm not married to you. Don't really need opinions about things you are ignorant about.

A 9 pound rifle for him is like 28 lb rifle for me. If I can get it down to 6 lbs
and make it more fun for him, maybe he will keep the sport up.

I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers and I'm certainly not ignorant on the matter. I take my nephew hunting all the time and he's turning out to be quite the hunter. I'm speaking common sense whether folks want to admit it or not. If a youngster can't physically hold up a rifle then how can they shoot it properly? Simple answer is they can't. Like I said... all kids should have the opportunity to spend time in the woods hunting  but only when they're ready.
Now if you want to lighten up the rifle for him so he can shoot it you could try a youth synthetic stock or maybe a Tamer stock. With the barrel cut down and a light stock set it might work out OK for him. I don't know what you plan on using for optics but I have a couple Simmons 2.5x20 scopes and they work real well and are lightweight. Like Doc said... you could try using some shooting sticks or a bipod to help him aim the rifle. It'll take a few tweaks but I'm sure you can get it set up so he can shoot it accurately and properly.

Spanky

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 02:38:04 AM »
First of all I am not in favor of off hand shots at game by anyone let alone a young man. I started my Grandsons out with light loaded .50cal. muzzleloaders and they either shot off sticks in a blind or off a rest out of a tree stand. They now hunt with .44mag handis but still use a rest for any shots they take. Off hand shots in the heat of the moment are too iffy and I-we have to much respect for the animal we are hunting to take anything but the best possible shot.
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Knight, T/C and CVA Muzzleloaders
Bowtech and Diamond bows