Author Topic: What gr of bullet?  (Read 996 times)

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
What gr of bullet?
« on: February 02, 2011, 08:15:38 AM »
Ok, I did the trick in FAQ to determine my barrels rate of twist on the .223 Handi I bought from the father in-law. It's a 1:12 twist. I need to get it scoped and shoot it soon, as I go for a month long TDY for training and then we move to Germany in June and the guns will go to my mom's for the next 4 years. Anyways, I have a box of 55 gr. but I want a couple of different types and weights to try out, but I don't want to chase weights that are for 1:9" twists when I have a 1:12" twist. I do not reload at this time, so all ammo will be factory bought for now. Thanks!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: What gr of bullet?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:25:39 AM »
According to my Greenhill charts, a .224 bore of 1:12 will stabilize a MAX:
weight:58gr.
length: 0.63"
It is a length more than weight thing; if in doubt err to the shorter and/or lighter side.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline HogFan

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
Thanks a lot. I can find 55 gr. and under .223 factory loaded ammo all day around here. It was the heavier stuff I have a hard time finding. I will buy a couple more boxes and take her to the range an give it a try.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »
45gr Winchester white box 45gr UltraMax remanufactured  and 45gr Remington PMC all in soft point are inexpensive and will shoot 1" out of a 1-12 Twist. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »
OK, I did the trick in FAQ to determine my barrels rate of twist on the .223 Handi I bought from the father in-law. It's a 1:12 twist. I need to get it scoped and shoot it soon, as I go for a month long TDY for training and then we move to Germany in June and the guns will go to my mom's for the next 4 years. Anyways, I have a box of 55 gr. but I want a couple of different types and weights to try out, but I don't want to chase weights that are for 1:9" twists when I have a 1:12" twist. I do not reload at this time, so all ammo will be factory bought for now. Thanks!

What are you doing??  ::) Trying to ruin all the fun???  ;) ;)  You have a duty to find the best shooting bullet and load. That's the FUN of it!!  Keep at it, when you find it it will be like flicking a switch. That's the fun of it!!!  Some of us have impressed this more so than others. Why and how do you think some guys have SO MANY handis??? Seriously, if your a re loader, pick a powder and keep trying different loads with it then move to another and try again. First I like to be sure of my rifle... remove and reinstall base with good rings and locktite on base screws. Clean them with good degreaser so all oils are removed. Use a known good scope. Check your latch, fit/bed your forearm. Then build shells as accurately as you can. the biggest thing to remember is CONSISTENCY. Nothing else will prove more reliable for the task at hand.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »
45gr Winchester white box 45gr BlackHills remanufactured  and 45gr Remington PMC all in soft point are inexpensive and will shoot 1" out of a 1-12 Twist. Kurt

+1 The Winchester White box 45s have been mentioned on here several times. ;)

Weidmannsheil, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Shu

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:46:17 AM »
The 1:12 twist likes light bullets, 55 gr and under. That white box 45 grain stuff should put a grin on your face.

When you come back from Germany get into reloading, that handi will love 45 grain bullets and H322 powder. (Just my opinion of course).

Thanks for your service, best wishes and stay safe.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 04:22:59 AM »
I'm old and can't recall the details, but years ago, a friend in the Army was stationed in Germany and went through the courses and jumped the hoops and I believe emerged a "forrestmeister".  That may not be the corerct title, but he could hunt in Germany and loved it.  Ya may want to take some of those rifles and try it.  I left mine home when I transferred to Italy and regretted it.  I missed out on some good bird and boar hunting.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »
I had a 1 in 12 Handi and it liked 50gr Noslers and BLC2 powder.
I still use that load in my 1 in 9 Handi with a newly whacked
barrel (16 1/2 inches). I couldn't let you guys have all the fun!
I should have added that I haven't shot it yet after the nose job,
the range is still under water. It loved that load before the rhinoplasty
though and I hope it will still.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline HogFan

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »
I'm old and can't recall the details, but years ago, a friend in the Army was stationed in Germany and went through the courses and jumped the hoops and I believe emerged a "forrestmeister".  That may not be the corerct title, but he could hunt in Germany and loved it.  Ya may want to take some of those rifles and try it.  I left mine home when I transferred to Italy and regretted it.  I missed out on some good bird and boar hunting.

Pete

Not allowed to bring guns with you to Germany anymore. I can however take the German Hunters Ed course and then I am allowed to import my own rifles, or buy a couple there. I plan on buying a nice European rifle (Blaser, Sako) while I am there. Getting a scope next week, and then hopefully to the range real soon.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »
You are much better to purchase there. Once you purchase your Jagdschein and Waffenbesitzkarte, you could have your guns mailed to the APO/FPO address, but you would be required to send them to Koln for proofing and that runs 80+ Euro per gun. Here are the steps towards becoming a gun owner and hunter in the Heidelberg area.

1. Seek out a German Hunting Course at the R&G Club
2. While waiting for that, rent a shotgun and buy a case of steel shotshells (required on R&G ranges)
3. Start shooting Trap and Skeet
4. Doing that, you will soon meet a man named Dom Knoll
5. Become his friend by shooting at the "beer bird" every time he's around
6. He won't miss so you will probably be buying the pitcher afterwards   ;D
7. Keep doing that and a few weeks after you get your Jagdschein, he'll take you hunting  ;)

Dom is a retired Army NCO and takes good care of those within his circle of friends. Mention my name and he may even do you better than that by introducing you to Richard.  ;) ;)

If that happens, you will be set my friend.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline HogFan

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »
Thanks Dinny, but my orders got cancelled today.  :'(

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »
Thanks Dinny, but my orders got cancelled today.  :'(

What a bummer!! Staying at LR then?

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline HogFan

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 03:17:41 PM »
Not staying at LR. The AF has already named my replacement, and said I must move this year. Since the Army med center denied my son medical care at Heidelberg, that triggered our cancellation. My functional is working on trying to get us some where we want to be, but that place must have a  need for my skill level and rank. I was told not to rule Germany out just yet, but it looks highly unlikely.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »
I worked at Heidelberg Hospital. They downgraded in 2008 to a super-clinic after closing their ER and removing the inpatient wards. Maybe you can get to Ramstein, it's nice there too.

Good luck, I know how AFPC works!  ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline HogFan

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »
I worked at Heidelberg Hospital. They downgraded in 2008 to a super-clinic after closing their ER and removing the inpatient wards. Maybe you can get to Ramstein, it's nice there too.

Good luck, I know how AFPC works!  ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Well, I was given a website and told to look at the manning levels at different bases and get back to them. I offered up a few places that were short, and Sembach is at top of the list. Not getting my hopes up though. My other option is to put in for a BOP and move CONUS again.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »
Sembach is a good location. I stayed there for a few weeks back in 2005. It is a tiny base located about 20 mins from Kaiserslautern and Ramstein. 

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine