Author Topic: Too many nice guns, so little money!  (Read 740 times)

Offline jcsabolt2

• Trade Count: (0)
Too many nice guns, so little money!
« on: February 11, 2004, 06:37:14 AM »
I live in Ohio and we just passed our CCW law here not too long ago.  I thought I had my mind made up of what I wanted to carry, but I made the mistake of hitting a few gun dealers this past weekend with my brother and there is a gun show at the end of the month.  Below is the list of guns I am considering.  I have handled all, but about two of them.

S&W 640, 357 mag - $481
Taurus 650SS, 357 mag - $340.85
Kahr PM40, 40 S&W - $649
Kahr MK9, 9mm - $550
Para Ordnance C6.45, 45 ACP - $782
Para Ordnance C7.45, 45 ACP - $689
Springfield XD9810, 9mm - $413
Sig Arms 239, 9mm - $566

I guess right now if I were forced to buy one based purely on functionality it would have to be the Kahr.  Nothing to get in the way, thinnest of any full power pistol made.

Here's the kicker, I'd like my wife to be able to shoot this gun too.  She's a small lady about 120 lbs with small hands.  Get the feeling I should take a close look at the S&W or Taurus again.

What do you guys think?
A man with a gun is a citizen...a man without a gun is a subject.
Great Pro Gun Site...not what you might be thinking.  http://www.flashbunny.org/

Offline Rod in Pa

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 12:18:13 PM »
I live in Pa. and I carry a Kahr PM9 in a IWB Mitch Rosen model CLP. It is a very nice setup. The only problem I have with the Kahr, is that once in a while, the recoil of the pistol is such that my handgrip puts pressure on the mag release button and the mag releases. Does anyone else have this problem? Rod

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Too many nice guns, so little money!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 12:25:23 PM »
Quote from: jcsabolt2
I live in Ohio and we just passed our CCW law here not too long ago.  I thought I had my mind made up of what I wanted to carry, but I made the mistake of hitting a few gun dealers this past weekend with my brother and there is a gun show at the end of the month.  Below is the list of guns I am considering.  I have handled all, but about two of them.

S&W 640, 357 mag - $481
Taurus 650SS, 357 mag - $340.85
Kahr PM40, 40 S&W - $649
Kahr MK9, 9mm - $550
Para Ordnance C6.45, 45 ACP - $782
Para Ordnance C7.45, 45 ACP - $689
Springfield XD9810, 9mm - $413
Sig Arms 239, 9mm - $566

I guess right now if I were forced to buy one based purely on functionality it would have to be the Kahr.  Nothing to get in the way, thinnest of any full power pistol made.

Here's the kicker, I'd like my wife to be able to shoot this gun too.  She's a small lady about 120 lbs with small hands.  Get the feeling I should take a close look at the S&W or Taurus again.

What do you guys think?

Among fine weaponry listed, Dali Llama say he recommend Para Ordnance C6.45.  Dali say it be small, concealable package, but pack knockdown power of .45 ACP, and extra comfort level and safety of double action that be preferred by many.  Dali say it also be very beautiful weapon in stainless steel with cocobolo wood grips.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline KN

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 02:18:30 PM »
If your wife is going to be shooting it and recoil might be a problem consider the Kahr P9 covert. Same grip frame as the PM model but the gun is about 3/4" longer. Its still really compact. and the 9mm would be alot more controlable.   KN

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 04:02:35 PM »
Quote from: Rod in Pa
I live in Pa. and I carry a Kahr PM9 in a IWB Mitch Rosen model CLP. It is a very nice setup. The only problem I have with the Kahr, is that once in a while, the recoil of the pistol is such that my handgrip puts pressure on the mag release button and the mag releases. Does anyone else have this problem? Rod

Dali Llama say he suggest perusal of following thread: http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=18065 . :-)

Offline jcsabolt2

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 01:22:29 AM »
Dali,

You are correct...the Para is a VERY nice piece of art work.  Best trigger of all the guns I've ever handled in a factory gun and even some higher end custom jobs.  If I could I'd prefer to get two guns.  One for me and one for my wife.

:D
Great Pro Gun Site...not what you might be thinking.  http://www.flashbunny.org/

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 02:11:05 AM »
Quote from: jcsabolt2
Dali,

You are correct...the Para is a VERY nice piece of art work.  Best trigger of all the guns I've ever handled in a factory gun and even some higher end custom jobs.  If I could I'd prefer to get two guns.  One for me and one for my wife.

:D
Dali Llama say Para Ordnance C6.45 have sufficient weight to somewhat mitigate recoil that better half may find weapon more shootable than apparently be current thought. :-)  :-)  :-)

Offline Gregory

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 12:07:30 PM »
I think if your wife is a first time shooter I'd stick with a 9MM, 38 Special, or 40 S&W.  If she's an experienced shooter already, then the 357 Mag and 45 ACP can be included.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline JohnClif

Get a .38 Spl revolver
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 09:58:31 PM »
I have learned over the past decade after working with literally thousands of otherwise intelligent people who didn't have the experience to know what handgun is best for concealed carry, that the answer is obvious.  Get a .38 Special revolver.  I can't tell you how many new shooters bought small and powerful, and because they didn't like the gun and couldn't hit anything with it they traded it back in.  You may be a good shot and well-practiced... is your wife?

Most civilian self-defense situations will occur at close range.  Pure firepower will not be an issue because the situation will be decided before more than 4 or 5 shots are fired... either you solve your problem or you miss and your problem solves you.  What you need is a gun that requires very little in the way of training because it requires very little in the way of manipulation in order to be able to fire multiple shots accurately.  Think of the .38 Special revolver as the gun equivalent of a point-and-shoot camera... no levers to flip, slide to bite, grip safety to depress, etc.  

All of the guns you listed are nice... but unless you and your wife are willing to devote the time and money required for education, practice, and ammo, you might as well rule out any pistol and stick to the revolvers.  

Smaller revolvers are nice and compact... but they kick.  Unless you and your wife are willing to devote the time and money required for education, practice, and ammo, you might as well rule out the compact lightweight revolvers.  They are great for self-defense in the hands of someone who can hit with them... and worse than useless if you can't hit with them because of their size or recoil.

Smith & Wesson offers the 65 (fixed sights) and 66 (adjustable sights) 3" mid-frame revolvers in stainless chambered for the .357 Magnum.  These aren't much bigger than the 640 and other compact revolvers, you can shoot .38 Specials through these guns and the recoil isn't much more than a .22 revolver.  I recommend the 65 with fixed sights... adjustable sights snag on stuff and adjust at the wrong time, and the fixed sight gun will be close enough out to 25 yards.  Here's a gun that both you and your wife can carry and shoot, and hit something with.  It's utterly reliable, and if you each shoot a box of .38s a week through the gun it will last for a decade.  Best of all, if you DO shoot a box a week for a year through the gun, then you WILL have the necessary skill to adequately shoot the smaller 640 with .38s.

Taurus makes a clone of this gun in their 85 series rated for .38s only.  It will also do the job.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 05:16:59 AM »
John, if you keep jumping on these threads with topic ending common sence and experience, you're gonna take all the fun out of them!!!!!  Just kidding, welcome to GBO.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline jcsabolt2

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 01:23:22 AM »
JohnClif,

I kind of came to the same conclusion.  My wife has virtually no experience with firearms and won't touch them if I'm not around.  However, I hunt whitetail with a TC Encore in 44 Mag and "try" to get to the range about twice a month when the weather is nice.  It is kind of ironic, I had began looking for a 3" 357/38 shortly after I originally posted.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline deecee

Looking for new revolver
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 03:06:16 PM »
I have been looking for something to replace my det. special.  I have decided that it should be retired, since they are no longer made, and it is virtually unworn (fired about 250 rds).  Just want to keep it nice.

Which brings me to the market for a short-barrel cylinder gun.  Based on my dealer's prejudices, I am leaning toward an SP101 in .357, stainless.  I do think a Mdl 60 S&W would also be fine -- with 3" bbl.  

I used to have a Mdl 67, and foolishly traded it away, although that was a 4."  Not exactly what I have in mind, now.

Altho I will shoot 99.9% 38SP reloads, I want the .357 for durability.  I guess my biggest question is, although the Mdl 60 is a little larger (with adj. sights), for how I intend to use it  -- mostly a paper-puncher that can be carried if desired -- I wonder if the 101 might not fit the bill, and save a few bucks, too?

Any thoughts?

I guess a .44 spl could also be considered, as I do have dies for that round, too.  Never fired one, tho -- have the dies for my Marlin 1894.