Author Topic: YESSSS!! finally got one  (Read 593 times)

Offline Dave223

• Trade Count: (1)
YESSSS!! finally got one
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »
I just bought a scoped H&r 2 nights ago in 243. Its one of the wally world specials for 270$. i chose 243 because my wife and my 9 yo son can shoot it next year when we go hunting.   Anyhow, im going shoot it Sunday and was just curious, should I install the o-ring now or shoot it first as is? 

Is there a write up on lightening the trigger pull or is there someone here who does it?
 What other modifications would you reccomend and why?

Thanks, Dave
Sometimes, Its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool then open it and remove all doubt.

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
Re: YESSSS!! finally got one
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »
Shoot it first before you do anything.

Check the FAQS in the "Stickies" above, tons of info in there.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
Shoot it first!

It might be a good shooter right out of the box, and too many of us myself included tend to try and make it harder than it actually is by fixing something that isn't broken.

If you take it a step at a time instead of trying to fix everything at once you can pinpoint the problem fairly easy.

Cleaning  the bore making sure you don't have factory residue or any oil left in the chamber or on the latch shelf will go a long way to seeing how accurate it shoots.

Also make sure all you scope mount screws are tight, and that the rings on the scope are tightened.

Be aware that each gun is different, and the ammo choice and weight of the bullet make a huge difference in a lot of .243 rifles that seem to be more picky than other calibers.

Fortunately the cheaper manufactured brands seem to shoot the best out of the Handi's.

Let the barrel cool between shots especially with the .243 standard contour barrel.

That alone will let you know if you have an out of the box shooter, in Handi Rifles 101.

You've chosen a great caliber so have fun!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
And make sure when closing it you snap it closed with some 'authority' to get things to seat in.
When you pull the trigger make sure you concentrate on pulling it all the way to the back.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline michstew

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »
I agree!! Shoot the weapon.  michstew

Offline Dave223

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »
Thanks Guys,
  i was going to try to go today as I just cant wait but i have a few things around the house to finish while the weather is nice.  I cant wait!
Sometimes, Its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool then open it and remove all doubt.