Author Topic: Royal Arsenal Gates, Woolwich, England  (Read 873 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Royal Arsenal Gates, Woolwich, England
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:34:32 PM »
Two bronze mortars mounted on ornate bronze beds that flank the Royal Arsenal Gates at Woolwich, England. The beds display the royal cypher of King George IV who reigned from 1820 to 1830.

Click on photo to enlarge
http://welovewoolwich.co.uk/content/htdocs/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=170

Click on photo to enlarge
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Woolwich_royal_arsenal_gatehouse_1.jpg

Some history on the entrance that was originally called the Beresford Gate.
http://www.qq22.demon.co.uk/raw/pages/buildings/beresford/index.html

flickr, anonymous photographer circa 1970

welovewoolwich.co.uk, photo by Chris Mansfield

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Royal Arsenal Gates, Woolwich, England
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:39:24 AM »
wow , that bed is something special
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:08:25 PM »
I have seen some fantastic examples of dolphins on barrels before, but those are the most elaborate cap-squares I've ever seen.

Richard isn't here to explain the meaning of the plant life portrayed on the mortar bed, so I thought I'd look it up: The rose represents England, the thistle Scotland, and at the base of the stems are three leaf shamrocks representing Ireland; together they symbolized the United Kingdom of Great Britain (I think).

Open the link for a flickr hosted photograph by tommyajohansson.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyajohansson/3848887023/sizes/l/in/photostream/

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Rotunda

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »
It’s really weird logging onto our Forum and seeing a picture of the Royal Arsenal Gatehouse, Beresford Square, 
which is only 3 ½ miles away for where I live.

It was refurbished and on the 4th July 2003 the building was taken over by the International University of America.

The Royal Arsenal Gatehouse is now set as an island, with a new dual carriageway road behind it and pedestrianised at the front.

If you go to Google Plumstead Stories - Woolwich - Arsenal , you will get a sense of what
the Arsenal and Gatehouse was like in its hay day.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
I thought that these were two 13-inch mortars, but wasn't positive. The other day I ran across this information: They are 18th century 13-inchers, with one cast by Jan Verbruggen, and the other made by William Bowen (their dimensions are almost identical).