Author Topic: 8mm x 57 mauser handloading question  (Read 562 times)

Offline casca1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
  • Contributor
8mm x 57 mauser handloading question
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »
greetings.
I have a HAKIM, that I would like to do some handloading for. Because of the damage it does to the brass.  I would like to form 30-06 brass to make 8mm x 57 brass.

I have a RCBS 8mm x 57 mauser trim die. also have proper handloading die sets for both calibers.  Is the trim die the only other that I will need to do this?  also know that there is some filing & some possible sawing involved in this task.

Has anyone else done this task will any good results ?

Could you outline the proper method to do this.

Any major problems that I may need to know ?

thank you
casca1
I DON'T WANT NO MORE ARMY LIFE
PLEASE SIR,
I WANNA GO HOME
1983-1990

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: 8mm x 57 mauser handloading question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »
I have done this 100's of times. When you push the 06 brass through the trim die, take a new hack saw and just a few strokes cuts it off to proper length. I tried a Dremel tool, but it was no easier. It is now ready to size in your standard sizing die and trim.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 8mm x 57 mauser handloading question
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:38:53 AM »
I have found that after you trim the case and before you run it into your FL size die remove the expander ball from the die. Be sure to lube the cases well with a thin lube. I use Hornady One Shot or Lee wax lube and never have had trouble with oil dents. With a really quick stroke run the case into the FL die. After you size all the cases replace the expander ball in the FL die and make sure you get a little lube inside the neck, (I like One Shot Hornady spray lube for this) and run the cases back through the FL die again. Then measure the outside diameter of the case neck compared to a FL sized 8mm case. Some 06 cases necks are a bit too thick and will need to be turned. Winchester cases usually do not need to be turned. They are the thinnest I have run across but are still good cases.