Author Topic: Hunters ring  (Read 673 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Hunters ring
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »
I am not a duck hunter and never was. Born in Louisiana and hunt deer all life . Found what I was told was a hunters ring in some of my fathers gun parts box after he died in 2003 at 83 years old. The ring is cast  with what looks like an extractor on it . It fits a 12 guage shell just perfect. I was told by some old timers here that it was used to pull swollen shot gun shells out of double barreled shotguns. I can't send any pictures because I have no way to. I am hoping some old hunters here would have some information about the ring. I don't know where or who it came from . All I know that my grandfather had an old LC Smith doubole he hunted with. ANY INFO WII BE HELPFUL!!!!
Zacharoo
PS I hope I am writting in the right forum

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Re: Hunters ring
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »
I have never heard of one and am interested in seeing what you hear from others.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Hunters ring
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:58:34 AM »
I found a picture on another hunting site. It is a 12B gauge ring cartridge extractor. It was made by Lightwood & Son of Birmington England in 1930. Was made for drillings with the purpose of extractiung swollen paper shells. They were made in all large size shotguns. 10 guage 12 gauge and 16 gauge How it came to my father I have no Idea and all the older family members are gone. But I now know what it is.
Zacharoo