Author Topic: 1917 eddystone barreled receiver  (Read 1014 times)

Offline olydraft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
1917 eddystone barreled receiver
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:18:56 AM »
 The Eddystone barreled receiver I got at the gun show last month give me a little suprize last weekend. I thought the barrel was shot out, you could just barley see any rifling in it. I thought I was going to have to change barrels. I decided to try an electric barrel cleaner I built from instruction from another site. I tried it for about 45 mins and when I ran a patch through it the patch came out blacker than India Ink, I cleaned and cleaned and low and behold I found a barrel with nice crisp and deep rifling... I like that electronic cleaner I made, it works great. I thought I was going to have to rebarrel the receiver but noe I`ll have a nice 30/06 to add to my collection.
   I hope everyone is nice and snug in this storm, right now I`m stuck in a motel in Coldwater Mi and don`t know how long Ill be here. At least I`m not on the road with the big truck today, yet. You never know what the dispatchers will send you out in. I do know they won`t be sending me back to Indianapolis because our terminal has been closed since last night. To all, be safe....  Gary
If you want it destroyed right, call in a B-52
  "Have B-52 will travel"

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 1917 eddystone barreled receiver
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »
Gary tell me more about this cleaner or shoot us a link if you will.

Offline olydraft

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
I`ll try to find it for you... It`s just a couple wires soldered inside an old plastic flashlight and uses a solution of 1 part white vinegar 1part amonia and 2 parts water.
  "Have B-52 will travel"

Offline olydraft

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »
Old Syco here`s a link to what I built, hope you can use the info...  Gary   http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp   The instructions for building are about half way down the page...
  "Have B-52 will travel"

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
Thanks for the link.  At first glance my thoughts were what a contraption!  ???  I'll have to finish reading up on it later tonight.  Considering the source of the link, I wonder how I've managed to miss this until now since I've done a lot of reading on the SR site over the years.   :-[

Offline olydraft

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
   Yah, it looks kinda flakey but it works great. I also built one out of a cell phone charger but I haven`t tried it yet.   By the way I made barrel plugs out of hot glue a stick (on a belt sander) and used a 1/8 in steel rod.
  "Have B-52 will travel"

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:59:56 PM »
I also have a M17 Eddystone. I've owned it for over 45 years and always dreamed of building a custom rifle from it. Four or five years ago I finally took it to smith for a check up. Sad to say nearly 80 years of corrosive ammo had taken a toll on it. He let me look down the barrel with a bore scope. It looked like a bad road full of chuck holes. I'm glad yours turned out well.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:35:00 AM »
Well I've bookmarked the link for later consideration in case I take a notion to tinker.  For now life through chemicals is good.  I'm not presently working with any older, unknown history, firearms where something like this might shine.  Still, thanks for the link.  I'm always willing to learn something new.

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »
Olydraft :  I made mine out of an old cell phone charger that I have (a box full of them and I do mean full). My cost was for a couple of rubber stoppers for the chamber and 2 pieces of 1/8th in. carbon rod plus 2 alligator clips. Maybe 3 bucks. Boy did it clean 2 of my old bolt ladies. Damm fine rifling when It was done. My mix was just like yours with the exception that I added 1 part lemon juice plus 4-5 drops of Dawn soap. the Dawn helps get the liquid under the gunk.  It also doesn't hurt to put the formula in and let is sit for about an hour before hooking up the power.  God Bless to all. 
P.S.  that Ice Storm got me. I took on heck of a fall going to the car. At 66 years old I didn't need that at all. I'm still hurtin' from it. OH WELL, such is life.

GOF (goofyoldfart aka grumpyoldfart)