Author Topic: ROA & Second model Dragoon  (Read 560 times)

Offline Full House

• Trade Count: (0)
ROA & Second model Dragoon
« on: February 16, 2004, 12:34:01 PM »
My back-order .44 Dragoon from Dixie Gun Works came last week (it was ordered in mid December when DGW had a sale at $225.00 for an Uberti) and I would like someone with knowledge compare and contrast it with a Ruger Old Army .44.

Thanks,
Full House

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 03:43:26 PM »
For just fun, Dragoon.  For serious shooting or hunting, ROA.   Both take about the same load.  ROA may take some smoothing but never breaks (springs ususally go in Dragoon), adjustable sights and a little easier takedown.

Offline Flint

ROA
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 08:10:52 PM »
As it weighs half again more, the Dragoon is not as easy to carry, they were Horse Pistols, carried by the Dragoons/Cavalry in holsters straddling a saddle pommel, one to either side.  On a man's hip it's a bit much.  The Ruger would be much easier to holster in the field, and will fit any holster made for a Super Blackhawk.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 08:57:44 PM »
You know I've always wondered about carrying them after watching "the oulaw Josey Whales"  Wonder if Ol' Clint felt weighted down with a pare of Walkers? :-D

I was going to order a pair of whitneyville walkers, but now it looks like I'll have to spend the money and stock up on black powder.

For me I'd rather have the dragoon as it's historicly correct, but there's nothing wrong with the ROAs, just not to my taste, got a love of the open top colts.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com