Author Topic: UNKNOWN CANNON/CARRONADE  (Read 3091 times)

Offline alamein51

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: UNKNOWN CANNON/CARRONADE
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 04:31:34 AM »
Many thanks nchokie for the info.I am also inclined to think they originated from there.Guess they date from c1800.Thanks,John.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 11:53:06 AM »
Thanks for your reply, nchokie. We seem to have a few things in common; we’re both interested in historic artillery, and neither of us considers himself an expert on the subject.
I agree with Adrian that these gunades (with side trunnions) were almost exclusively manufactured for the private shipping industry. I also think Bob is right in saying that the raised crown was simply an advertising gimmick meant to attract buyers in that era. I’m also in accord with Bob in his thinking that the carronades (with an under barrel loop/lug) manufactured by the Carron Company for the military were regularly marked with identification. I don’t know if, or how gunades made by this company for armed merchantmen were marked. The reason I asked the question is because I thought you might have some information that would shed some light on this aspect of the subject.
There used to be an active member here (well informed about artillery) that owned an impressive collection of swivel guns, and one of them was in the form of an iron gunade. I remember that it had a similar type of raised crown on top of the barrel, but even though he researched it as thoroughly as he could, he was unsuccessful in his attempt to find out where it was made.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline alamein51

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »
Further to my first posting,I had the chance to inspect the guns again today.As agreed ,they are gunnades and their overall total length was 45".The bores were approx. 3.6" in diameter and there was a very rough looking "6" just forward of the touchholes.All three gunnades are identical and general opinion amongst the group inspecting them was that they were from The Carron Ironworks.They will be sold next month.I still haven't gleaned any info. on their possible price,but informed sources seem to suggest a broad price range of £1000 - £2000 each.Would any member either concur or dispute this please.Best Regards ,John

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 08:00:28 PM »
My opinion is if it does not have the word CARRON and a serial number on the trunnion, it is not from Carron. They were very proud of the name and prodcuts- I guess they charged a premium for that. I think there were smaller , less prestigious, ironworks who produced these little crowned gunnades.

Bob Smith

Offline alamein51

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 11:33:30 PM »
Hi Bob,Thanks for the reply.I did try to inspect the trunnion ares but the barrels had some paint/rust residue which was fairly thick so maybe something under the surfacee.Would markings be raised or impressed and would it be on trunnion end(flat part) or on trunnion curved part.Thanks,John

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 11:59:08 PM »
Cut into the trunnion face, like this:

Offline alamein51

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 12:48:04 AM »
Thanks for that Bob.Will know what to look for now but on quick inspection,I think there were no markings so maybe not Carron.Regards,John