Author Topic: Found, Lincolnville Beach Cannon marked......FALKIRK  (Read 6964 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Found, Lincolnville Beach Cannon marked......FALKIRK
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2011, 09:13:16 AM »
I have looked at this in 1 1/8".  I have the steel to make one in that size. .  Actually I think this would be great in  Golf ball caliber...especially if some one would make a steel mould for zinc size GB's.....hint, hint, hint.

Offline The Jeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2011, 11:06:26 AM »
     We are reviving this older thread for two reasons.  We are wondering if anyone has plans to make a small Carronade in the future in steel or bronze.

I've been scouring Google images lately for Carronades. After making my 1" bore mountain howitzer barrel recently, I wanted to build some other scaled 12 pound artillery so I can have a common projectile. I've got a rather large folder of pictures, a few plans, and a few descriptions of them, but I doubt I'll get around to making one for a while.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
We are wondering if anyone has plans to make a small Carronade in the future in steel or bronze.

I would not go so far as to say "plans" although I have made drawings.  I would like one of one pounder (Pb) size but that becomes a pretty big piece of steel because of the proportions.  (4.86" dia x 17.63 OAL, approx 90 lbs)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2011, 03:17:52 AM »
     We are reviving this older thread for two reasons.  We are wondering if anyone has plans to make a small Carronade in the future in steel or bronze.  Also, there seems to be quite a bit of interest in this type of cannon lately within the other thread on them currently and we thought it might be helpful to review what information had already been received on GBO Mortar & Cannon on them in the past.  This is just one type of artillery that Mike and I hope to make when we retire in a couple years.  We think that a one-half scale 12 pdr. would be just about right. 

Tracy and Mike

Back in 2009 I had made arrangements with Cannonmn to borrow a Carronaid model he had and make a mold off of,
Not long after making the arrangements that I learned Carol's cancer was terminal and I never went further with it.... as
my focus had changed to more important things.
I learned some time later that Cannonmn had traded the model off for a large library of research material, if I can come
up with another small one to make a mold off of I would see about reproducing it, there is a foundry nearby.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »
     Double D.,   Thanks for including that link to Rickk's build.  Mike and I walked beside the garden featured in Rick's Carronade firing picture on July 4, 2007, a couple weeks before he posted those excellent build pics and spectacular firing pic.  After I saw that photo, all I could think of was "Fried Green Tomatoes"!!  He did a really nice job on that carriage.  Check out Page Five.

Thanks for those nice photos, Dom.  That's the style I would love to build.  It would not be technically difficult to incorporate an under lug on a tube ring applied to the turned tube.  With all that surface area on a 5" or 6" ring, a minor shrink fit would lock it so tight that you could fire 10,000 rounds and never dislodge it.  Your carriage reminds us of those we saw in fort Niagara near Niagara Falls, NY.

Sounds like a good plan, Jeff.  1" is one of our favorites of all time.  A 1" bore would get you a gun which would be similar in size to the one that Dominic posted.  It would be in a category that Mike and I call 'Fun Guns'.  Fun guns are easy to transport, easy to load and don't crush your foot if the gun recoils onto it!

KABAR2,   I would contact cannonmn again.  He may have picked up another one by now.  You know how prolific a trader and buyer he is!  Heck, he didn't ignore seacoast artillery either.  He had an 8" something-or-other in the yard by his house and it wasn’t a mortar!!

George,   We like your one pounder idea.  A golf ball size bore on a relatively light-weight, Carronade might be more practical.  A lot of gun weight could be saved with coming down to that size from a true half scale 12 pdr., from 2.31" to 1.72".  The effects of a one pound lead ball on a stack of pallets would be splintacular!!

Add a Carronade to the list,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling