Author Topic: Lets discuss my P-3AT  (Read 3106 times)

Offline AlbinoAlligator

• Trade Count: (4)
Lets discuss my P-3AT
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »
So...I did my research and decided to buy a new P-3AT. Because I did my research I was not shocked when I had feeding problems. I ran 50 rounds through it right out of the box, and I'd say 20 of them had some sort of feeding problem. So I went home, cleaned and lubed it up and racked the slide a bunch of times just thinking it would break things in a bit. I have yet to take it back out to see if it's better. I'm really not worried about it, I'm sure it will come around with use. What I wonder is, why does my gun have all these feed problems and others report no problems at all. My guess it the fit between the slide and frame is just a little tighter than others. What do you think?

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Lets discuss my P-3AT
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »
 Absolutely no problems with mine. Have shot it quite a bit, no stovepipers. Love the way the thing carries. I bought a BlackHawk pocket holster and sometimes I forget it is there. ONLY thing I don`t like is the slide doesn`t lock open on the last shot....

Offline uncledub

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
  • Alabama, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
Do a Fluff and Buff on it and you may be surprised how much improvement you see.  The KT forums have instructions
Young guys should listen to Old guys, they know stuff.

NEF 45-70 w/ 20 ga 22" barrel
NEF Pardner Pump Protector

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:34:37 AM »
You should always clean and lube a new gun before the first outing. Assuming you did that, a firm shooting grip is really important on such a small light pistol. Not the easiest thing to do with such a short grip. Each pistol has it's own individual characteristics, some are very forgiving of ammo type and grip. Some are very picky. You have to find the combination that works for you and your pistol. Neat little deep cover carry pistol, well worth working out any kinks they might have.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 03:26:12 AM »
Never shot one myself, but my experience has been that most semi-auto pistol feeding malfunctions can be traced to a bad magazine.  Also, sometimes a gun just doesn't like a particular load.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Red Hat

• Trade Count: (5)
  • USAF Retired, CATM 71-93
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »
Small mouseguns have an inherent problem that most don't realize.  It's called limpwristing.  All autos are prone to failure to feed problems if you limpwrist but are more pronounced with mouseguns. A firm grip with the wrist locked is a must in order to keep malfunctions to a minimum.  Some Kel-Tec's need a little more attention before getting them to function reliably.  As mentioned above, a fluff and buff is the first thing you should do.  Just a little polishing in certain areas will help a lot. 

How to fluff and buff

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks.htm
NRA Life/Endowment/Patron

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." Richard Henry Lee 1788

Offline AlbinoAlligator

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 02:36:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. It looks like the problem was the gun just needed a good cleaning. I polished the feed ramp, took the clip apart and cleaned it, and cleaned and lubed the slide real good. Then I took it out again it it worked perfectly. I fired about 50 rounds (two different brands). So I am now very happy with this pistol.

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 04:01:58 PM »
if you carry it in your pocket, even in a pocket holster, periodically dissassemble it and do a thorough cleaning, you will be suprised at how much lint it will collect.

Offline shot1

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:34:59 AM »
if you carry it in your pocket, even in a pocket holster, periodically dissassemble it and do a thorough cleaning, you will be suprised at how much lint it will collect.

+1 on that. It collects in the worst place a lot. Right where the firing pin is where the hammer has to hit. This can cause a misfire if a lint ball gets between the firing pin and hammer. I clean mine once a week. One other thing to keep an eye on. When you remove the slide off the frame DO NOT TURN THE FRAME UPSIDE DOWN.  If you do many times the ejector will fall out and that bugger is hard to find and then it has so many angled shapes it is hard to figure out how to put it back in properly. If you hold the frame in the firing position the ejector is that little block looking thing on the left side toward the rear of the frame. It is not held in by any pin etc. it just sits there and is held into place when you put the slide back on.

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »
 if it breaks you will be pleased with keltec .. i literally wore one out as i wanted to get accuracy as
best i could.. sent it back and got a new gun with my old s r num stamped in it ,in about a month..
 i was real satisfied.. the one the sent back has yet to mis fire or do any of the things semi autos are known for..don t limp wrist it an keep her clean..good luck..slim

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 04:32:12 AM »
Interesting post Slim, So how many rounds did it take to wear yours out ?

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 12:33:19 PM »
i didn t keep count but it my opinion that other handguns would be more durable for exstended shooting..but its fine for what its meant for..

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 01:09:18 PM »

+1 on that. It collects in the worst place a lot. Right where the firing pin is where the hammer has to hit. This can cause a misfire if a lint ball gets between the firing pin and hammer. I clean mine once a week. One other thing to keep an eye on. When you remove the slide off the frame DO NOT TURN THE FRAME UPSIDE DOWN.  If you do many times the ejector will fall out and that bugger is hard to find and then it has so many angled shapes it is hard to figure out how to put it back in properly. If you hold the frame in the firing position the ejector is that little block looking thing on the left side toward the rear of the frame. It is not held in by any pin etc. it just sits there and is held into place when you put the slide back on.

+2 on that...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline drhall762

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
Mine shot FMJ with no problems but was sensitive to JHP. Finally tried Speer and now it functions like a champ with the JHP. Glad I had it yesterday, shot a 3+ foot long Rattle Snake with it. 12 rattles and a button. Good sized snake for this area of North Carolina.

Dave
Dave

In 100 years, who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society.
Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
Bought mine today.  Second generation.   Shot a mag full of FMJ without a hiccup.  Not surprised, also have PF9.

Maybe shoot some HP tomorrow.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 05:21:09 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!