Author Topic: Using Reloads in the FNH FNP-40  (Read 850 times)

Offline dovehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Using Reloads in the FNH FNP-40
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:50:07 PM »
My son just bought a FNH FNP-40 (.40 S&W).  We would like to reload for it but have not as yet bought reloading dies.  I was looking through some of my loading manuals and both the Lyman no. 49 and Hodgdon's on-line loading data said not to use the data for handguns of this caliber that did not fully support and enclose the cartridge because the cases may rupture and damage the shooter, the gun, a bystander, or all of the above.  Unfortunately neither data source mentioned any specific handguns.  I had heard from some shooters at my club range that you should not reload for Glocks as they could experience this problem.  It appears that a loaded round goes fully into the barrel of the FNP, however I don't know if this was a true test of cartridge support.  Is it safe to reload for the FNP?  Obviously I'd like to know this before we invest in dies, components, etc.

My son is also considering purchasing either a small or medium frame Glock or a S&W Sigma in 9mm Luger.  Would either or both of these be susceptible to the problem described above?  I have also heard that you are not supposed to shoot lead bullets in a Glock.  Is this true?  We shoot mostly lead bullets to keep down on the cost of shooting and would probably want to avoid purchasing a gun in which it would not be possible or feasible to shoot lead bullets.

Thanks in advance for any information and/or advice you can provide.

Offline Savage

Re: Using Reloads in the FNH FNP-40
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:00:52 AM »
Any modern handgun that is safe to shoot with factory ammo, is safe to shoot with a well assembled reload of factory pressure levels or less. Strict attention and adherence to reliable published data and procedures are MANDATORY when reloading for any gun, any caliber!  Reloading can be as safe or dangerous as the reloader cares to make it.
Savage 

An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline dovehunter

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 03:01:29 PM »
Any modern handgun that is safe to shoot with factory ammo, is safe to shoot with a well assembled reload of factory pressure levels or less. Strict attention and adherence to reliable published data and procedures are MANDATORY when reloading for any gun, any caliber!  Reloading can be as safe or dangerous as the reloader cares to make it.
Savage

Thanks, but I was really hoping for a reply from someone with experience with and/or knowledge of specifically the FNH FNP-40.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »
I have no experience with the FNH 40 but since you have checked the cartridge in the barrel and if no area of the case from the web forward  was showing at the feed ramp the case is "fully supported".  I have loaded for several 40S&W pistols without issue and as far as I know the only barrels that were a problem were the early manufactured Glocks.  The 40's have been villified way beyond any other firearms which were truely unsafe, and frankly I think people should let this almost non-existant problem die a natural death.  Load and shoot the son's FNH and forget all this witchery.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 05:56:56 PM »
Load and shoot the son's FNH and forget all this witchery.

Ain't it the truth!!

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline dovehunter

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »
Thanks guys!  I had just about decided to do this anyway.

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 04:52:55 AM »
I've loaded for both a FNH40 and a Glock 23 without a hitch. I do recommend that you avoid lead. Rainier or Berry's plated bullets have served me well for plinking and range bullets.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!