Author Topic: Ruger Redhawks warning......  (Read 5822 times)

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ruger Redhawks warning......
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
Enough said, end of topic, point made so lock it.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »
I'll just add one comment before this locks up.

I read all of the forums now.  It's kinda scary.  The reason why I was speculating is because I'd like to know for sure if this is true or not.  I've been looking for a Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger or 454.  Even though this is stuff that happened to Redhawks and not the SRH's and I know this is all rare stuff to happen but truthfully, seeing this stuff makes me wary and I don't think I'll get one now. 
I'll stick to my Blackhawks. 

1911 crazy; thanks for bringing this to all of our attention.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »
 There isn't anything out there to match my/our redhawks.  We have shot mine alot.  My brothers redhawk is brand new and i think he only shot it once but we'll shoot it more soon.  The balance on these is awesome.  I do like the 7 1/2" barrel over the 5 1/2" barrel, less recoil.  I figure that maybe ruger has something better in the works next.  I'd like to move up to a larger caliber while i'm still young enough to shoot it. (60yo).  I hope ruger doesn't wait for too much longer with a new model.  I may email them to ask about what there plans are too.                    CZY

I seen a new S&W 500 with a 6" barrel.  That has to have a massive recoil that comes with it free right?  I like the looks of it but worry about the recoil.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »
There isn't anything out there to match my/our redhawks.  We have shot mine alot.  My brothers redhawk is brand new and i think he only shot it once but we'll shoot it more soon.  The balance on these is awesome.  I do like the 7 1/2" barrel over the 5 1/2" barrel, less recoil.  I figure that maybe ruger has something better in the works next.  I'd like to move up to a larger caliber while i'm still young enough to shoot it. (60yo).  I hope ruger doesn't wait for too much longer with a new model.  I may email them to ask about what there plans are too.                    CZY

I seen a new S&W 500 with a 6" barrel.  That has to have a massive recoil that comes with it free right?  I like the looks of it but worry about the recoil.

I too like the longer barrels on a larger revolver.  In fact, I was thinking of the 9.5 inch in the SRH. 

As for the S&W, I think the price is harder to bear rather than the recoil.  That's a lot of gun with a LOT of price!  Although it's a different action, I'd probably get a Magnum Research BFR before I bought the Smith in the 460 or 500. 

A couple of years ago there was a guy at the range I frequent who had one of those S&W's.  It was massive with at least a 9 inch barrel or more.  I cannot recall the caliber but it was either the 460 or the 500.  He was shooting factory ammo and he had offered for me to try it out.  Generally, I don't like doing that but I thought, "what the heck"!  I held on to that thing for dear life thinking it was going to be a killer but much to my suprise, the recoil was not all that bad.  In fact, I can recall telling him to try my Thompson Contender 30-30 pistol as I thought the recoil was about the same, believe it or not.  I guess they just designed that revolver to balance and/or absorb a lot of that recoil.  I would have to say that my unscoped and somewhat lightweight 45-70 Thompson Contender pistol is probably about the heaviest recoiling pistol I've ever fired.  I can generally withstand about 50 continuous rounds from it (with shooting gloves) before I have to stop.  After that, my hand is all "jittery" and has the shakes.  It's odd/amazing that the 500 S&W is so much more powerful than the 45-70 yet the design of that S&W revolver handles the recoil so well.  (assuming it was a 500 S&W I had fired and not the 460)

I'd say that if you're thinking of buying one, you'd best try one first, if you can.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 05:51:34 AM »
I'll just add one comment before this locks up.

I read all of the forums now.  It's kinda scary.  The reason why I was speculating is because I'd like to know for sure if this is true or not.  I've been looking for a Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger or 454.  Even though this is stuff that happened to Redhawks and not the SRH's and I know this is all rare stuff to happen but truthfully, seeing this stuff makes me wary and I don't think I'll get one now. 
I'll stick to my Blackhawks. 

1911 crazy; thanks for bringing this to all of our attention.

I wouldn't be afraid of buying the super redhawks at all because there ok.  No problems with those.  I'd like to have a 480ruger or a 454casull too but ruger keeps on discontinuing the calibers.                        CZY

I may wait till a manufacturers day at our local range then i can shoot the bigger calibers without buying them to see what i like or can handle to be sure before i purchase it. 

Offline odoh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 09:14:36 AM »
I love my SRH 454 ~ well fitted, tight and shoots well. So what if its ugly? My dog is too and we get along great. My only regret is in not holding out for a long barreled SRH in 480.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
I don't think any redhawk or super redhawk is ugly they have that rugged mack truck look to them i think there really purdy.  But them again i think the russian nagant revolver is purdy too.   CZY

Offline odoh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
Agreed ~ Re the Nagant, its one of those I needed to be up close & personal tho.

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 06:19:05 AM »
Thank God no one was hurt ,the shooter was in disbelief ......wow all my digits are still there.  :o

This the first time I  heard of this problem. I've owned 3 Redhawks and currently own a SRH as well as Speed six , GP100, and 11 Black Hawks all are solid.
NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
Things happen. When a Smith 64 is on a 10 yd range and when fired, the bullet goes 10 yds and the barrel went 5 yds. I will definately never turn down a 64 provided money is there to get it despite this event. I don't own a Ruger, though Redhawk has been bugging me for years (: , but any product will have errors. And as was said, never discount human error. That is normally the case with anything.