Author Topic: Jack Hume Adventures  (Read 2392 times)

Offline sangdigger

• Trade Count: (0)
Jack Hume Adventures
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:11:54 PM »
Just got back from a Caribou hunt in Quebec, Canada with Jack Hume Adventures. This is the first, and last time I will ever spend that kind of money, for the results that I got. Me and my hunting partner reseached this outfitter and could not find any complaints, however in our case we felt as if we had been lied to. When we met with a party from our outfitter we were told that there were not any caribou at our camp, but they would be moving in within the next few day.We were also told that we would be moved to a better location, if we could not find Caribou. One member of our party asked how long that would be (before we were moved) and we were told 2-3 days. We saw and shot 4 Caribou, 2 cows and 2 small bulls and were finally moved on the last day of the hunt so we could fill our tags. We had been requesting to be moved on the third day of the hunt, and were refused untill the last day of the hunt. Two members of our camp were moved 1 day earlier because they had not killed anything. The hunting party (at the same location)the week before us also had to be moved from that location. The place we were moved to, which was about 25 miles from our camp had all kind of Caribou, I saw over 50 within the first 3 hours. But when you only have part of a day to hunt, you will not be that picky as to what you will shoot, you are in desperation mode by then. There were 2 -3 man partys at our camp, and to the man we all felt the same way about this, several other members of the other party had been on quite a few other hunts, and had never experienced any thing like this. None of us would ever book another hunt with Jack Hume Adventures.

Offline Greenhunter

• Avid Poster
Re: Jack Hume Adventures
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »
I dont blame you. They seem to be running a numbers game up there when they spout off their success rates. Next time I will be headed to Labrador or Yukon/Alaska for caribou.

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 02:41:34 AM »
Hunted two years in a row with Club Chambeaux, their headquarters are right next to Hume and they pulled the same crap. First camps were always out of the beaten path of the bou and they would drag their feet on getting you moved. Once move though we were into Caribou big time. Still one of the most memorable trips I have ever been on. The float plane rides are almost worth the price of the hunt!
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Knight, T/C and CVA Muzzleloaders
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 04:50:40 AM »
I went with club chambeaux also. I have no complaints. Shot my first on the second day and my second ( a huge bull) on the fourth day. Food was great. Guide was great. Lodging was great. Float plane ride was awesome.

They told us the same when we got there about no caribou and moving us. There were a few caribou but not a major migration. Some went to another camp, I stayed put and was glad I did.

Our entire camp tagged out except for one guy that was shooting a bow. He got one.

They are animals and you can't say where or when they will appear and at least they offered to move you. It is hunting and not killing as the old saying goes. Chances are you could have got skunked, though not very likely.

I really relish the memories of my trip. My friend goes every three years or so and wants me to go again. I don't have the money for that kind of trip but if I did I probably wouldn't go anyway. It was a great trip but I'd like to try something different. Moose is next on my bucket list.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline nhdog

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »
I've hunted in northern Quebec a few years back and had a great hunt, it was however in land owned by the natives. Since then, the outfit has come and gone a couple of times. Quebec 'bou herds, both the George River and the Leaf River herds (somewhat) have been greatly reduced. Montreal has always been the auto (truck) capital for theft, particularly when they know you'll be gone  up north hunting. Many outfitters have left hunters who have booked hunts holding the bag after paying for their hunts with no refunds. It ain't what it used to be! Any one needs to be really careful booking a hunt there now. Newfoundland also does not have the woodland population they used to. Someone looking for a caribou should check out northern British Columbia or the Yukon for a  mountain caribou but the problem there now is $$$$. Prices out there have more than doubled just in the past 3 years but if money allows they are great hunts.
 To see some of the horror stories about Quebec Bou' hunts check out some of the other forums like http://forums.bowsite.com/biggame/section.cfm?gameid=10
If you like check out some of my hunt photos at
http://www.livingthedream.wyndencleh.com/index.html