Author Topic: small cannon i made  (Read 703 times)

Offline mostlyred

• Trade Count: (0)
small cannon i made
« on: February 28, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
heres a few pics of cannon i made many many moons ago i did mostly just fom a pic ....i used 2 inch stress proof steel that was left over from steam engine project...at that time i knew squat about cannons makeup... anyway its only about 8 inch long bore ..625 caliber.as stated i didnt know what to leave around combustion chamber...i did leave a lot a steel around breech...maybe 1.25 not including the cascabel..i think thats what its called...wish i knew more then..just gotta round me up some black powder again ... ::)from the research here iwas thinking of reboring maybe up to .75.any advice or suggestion welcomed'almost forgot added pics in the cannon ball thread check it out

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: small cannon i made
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »
That's a cute little cannon. Bet it's got a voice.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:42:50 AM »
The onlyh reason I wound rebore it is to make ifit a know projectile.

When do we get to see smoke and fire?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:53:00 AM »
I agree with DD ,I wouldnt mess with this one it is your first so it will always be special to you .

Hang around for abit and see what strikes your fancy ,then proceed with that one as a looker/ shooter .

Your cannon is a cute thing but the proportions are such that it wont ever be ....authentic . Thats not a bad thing and yours looks alot better than most first goes ....... My first cannon had the barrel backwards ! :o .....

I'm not trying to discourage you ,but the first cannon is like a roadmap of your sickness .... move on to the next level and keep the first for salutes and such .

Hang in there I wasnt kidding when I said it looks alot better that alot of firsts ,you didnt use a "pipe" for a barrel second you didnt use the word "pipe" in your description . You are ahead of abunch of guys on that alone . 8)

Welcome
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »
Here's my thoughts on you cannon.

Gary has called it right.  This is a good first cannon.  You built a good safe gun that looks like like a cannon, not a pipe bomb.  We see these pipe bombs all the time.

You lines are not standard, but have a bit of a Victorian flair.  The more I look at it the more I like it.   

So what is going to be your next build?

Offline mostlyred

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 03:38:26 PM »
first let me say a big THANKS for the comments and advice 8)
 as was stated it gets addictive...i will say from what i see what is being made here you guys are(skilled) craftsmen... i am not all that when it comes to lathe work,self taught....but after joining here i have seen and learned great many things... i think what i would like to try is maybe golf ball size bore ;D.not for sure of the style yet just thinking getting a plan first