Author Topic: .44 Mag FTX Seater Plug Question  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Landngroove

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
.44 Mag FTX Seater Plug Question
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »
I would like to handload some .44 Hornady FTX 225 grain cartridges for my Ruger .44 Carbine. The seater plugs with my dies (RCBS) are for wadcutter, and round nose bullets. These can't be used with the soft tip pointed FTX bullets. So if anyone is loading this style bullet, what are you using for a seater plug ?

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: .44 Mag FTX Seater Plug Question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »
I thought RCBS made an additional seater plug for spire point bullets.
For my LEE .357 Max. and .45 Colt seating dies, I modified the seating plugs with a center drill and use it for the FTX bullets that I load in them.

This picture is a seater plug modified on the left and factory seater plug on the right.

Bill

Offline Landngroove

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:52:04 AM »
I am not aware of an RCBS seater plug for spire points for this thread size die. My  .30 caliber rifle sets do have a plug for spire points, but the thread size of the seater plug is much smaller. I will call RCBS to see if one is available.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:38:05 AM »
FWIW, the Hornady die sets have seating plugs for RN & spire point bullets included.

Bill

Offline Landngroove

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:04:54 AM »
I called RCBS, and they are sending a seater plug for the 225 grain FTX bullet, for my .44 caliber die set. The customer service rep wanted to know if I had  a 1/4" seater plug stem, or  a 1/2" seater plug stem. They also want to know the exact bullet you will be loading.