Author Topic: Hornady Powder Tricklers  (Read 520 times)

Offline dovehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Hornady Powder Tricklers
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
I just purchased a Hornady powder trickler as I had been having some problems with my old ones.  It works fine, but so much effort is required to rotate the delivery tube that I have to use my other hand to firmly hold the body of the trickler while dispensing powder.  Anybody else ever use the Hornady trickler and, if so, is yours like that?  Is mine defective?  Neither of my old tricklers - an OHAUS and (believe it or not) a Herters - require any more than the slightest effort to rotate the delivery tubes.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Hornady Powder Tricklers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:19:15 AM »
There were two problems that I encountered with the Hornady trickler. One, it sat too low to use with the Rangemaster 750 and two, it is so light weight that it required two hands to use (probably the same as you).  I stuffed about 8 oz. of lead inside the hollow base and secured it to a piece of wood to gain the height needed for the scale. I added some non-skid material on the bottom side of the wood to prevent it from sliding on the bench. The tube turns freely with one hand now.

Bill

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:39:51 PM »
I purchased a Hornady powder trickler, got it home, took it out of the box and promptly put it back in the box. Two days later I returned it to the store where I had purchased it and bought an RCBS instead.  The couple of extra dollars were well worth it.  I found the Hornady tricker to be too light, too much friction on the rod, and it did not have "rifling" to move the powder through he rod.

Looks like Bill has a solution....

Paul

Offline ShootnStr8

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
This may sound like heresy but I don't find tricklers useful.  I have used a teaspoon for years and it works well for me. 

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal