Author Topic: Updating to Carbide tooling  (Read 677 times)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Updating to Carbide tooling
« on: September 07, 2012, 03:52:47 PM »
I have needed some new tooling, cutters & boring bar but the challenge was how to get a grip on my old SouthBend.  I bought a single 1/2" boring bar with replaceable carbide insert on ebay from www.mesatool.com   The round bar had flats top & bottom...  wouldn't quite go in my quick change tool holder.  I left the bottom untouched for indexing true & made a few passes on my bench grinder down the top flat & cinched down the set screws perfectly.  I discovered the cutting edge was below center on the work, but I experimented with some big fender washers & found one that would raise my tool holder perfectly. 
I just ordered a couple of different cutters... and spare inserts & screws...   arrived in today's mail.  I think this will go a long way to getting my projects moving again.   And the lathe can quickly switched back to conventional tooling either by removing the fender washer shim or exchanging tool posts.   

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Updating to Carbide tooling
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
Flagman1776,
Do you have any specific projects in mind to break in the new tooling?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »
I like the carbide cutters, I used them on the little 1" swivel I posted here about a year ago, there are times though when you need a certian shape cutter high carbon tool steel  does the job......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline de_lok

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 06:39:04 AM »
Here is a link to a nice qc tool holder ( kit has to be machines). I plan to get one for the SB9A I recently purchased. This will allow you to use a variety of tool shank sizes on your southbend and easiy locate the cutter tip on center. Hope this helps.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA-23.html

Dewayne

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:17:10 AM »
Thanks Dewayne,
They have some interesting stuff.
R

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »
Here is an interesting post (#11) about setting up carbide boring bars.  I have not had problems using mine but will try this the next time anyway.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill