Author Topic: All Things Rodman - Photos, Sizes, Locations, Firing, Effects on Targets, etc.  (Read 2108 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
     Boom J.,  Don’t you realize yet that our travels in pursuit of Seacoast guns in the United States have been, not just extensive, but exhaustive?  Must we prove, once again, that we know a few things about the big guns?  …………Actually we enjoy these  challenges from you and the membership at large. 

So, let’s see if we understand John’s question first.  It appeared in a thread by  irtmks titled:  Real amateur question – identify this part.  We thought a separate thread which focused on the Rodman Guns, starting with the 15” Rodman, would be a more appropriate place to discuss Rodman Guns in general and Boom J.’s  pointed question.  His question is below in quotes:     

“M&T,
What makes you think that the 15-inch Rodman "Lincoln" gun at Ft. Monroe is the only Rodman gun with elevating ratchets extant?”

The pic below, a photo that we posted of the mushroom cascabel of the Fort Monroe 15” Rodman Gun, the “Lincoln” Gun accompanied his question.

The caption to a photo, to which he was responding, contained the assertion:  “The rear of the same cannon showing the broad surface of the 'Knob' with it's elevation 'sockets' which are found on all but one Rodman Gun.”  The photo, taken at Fort Knox in the State of Maine, associated with the assertion, is below:

Although we could prove that our statement is true with citations from our reference books only, we much prefer to use original Seacoast Artillery photos whenever we can.  Fortunately we can do that in this case after we present just a wee bit of book knowledge.  The information below was taken from The Big Guns..Civil War Siege, Seacoast, and Naval Cannon.

“On 4 April 1859 the U.S. government ordered one 15-in. cannon for the purpose of experiments in heavy artillery”  “@ $10,000 and on 7 Oct. 1859, $5, 404.51 was paid on account of 15-in. gun.  In early May of 1860, 15-in. gun completed with estimated weight, by Rodman, of 49,099 lb.  1860 to 1861   T.J.R. and A.B.D. fired 509 rounds in proofing.” 

There is just one Reg. #1 Prototype gun cast, turned and bored.  Cast by Fort Pitt foundry in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, it was inspected by Army Ordnance designer and inspector, TJR, Thomas J. Rodman and shipped to Fort Monroe in Hampton, Virginia for testing.  Special comments were that it had elevating ratchets, implying that it had preponderance which none of the subsequent Model 1861 Rodman 15” guns had.  All seacoast guns before the 1861 Rodman used the one way ratchets and needed substantial preponderance to force the breech down to elevate the gun.

Also from The Big Guns,  we get this important information:  “Roughness, corrosion, or lack of lubrication might raise trunnion friction to equal if not exceed its 1,050 pound preponderance.  When ordered to depress the muzzle, the crew might have to struggle to lift with handspike combined preponderance and friction approaching a ton.  Ratchets were useless to  raise the muzzle when preponderance failed to overcome trunnion friction.  Visualize swarming gunners seeking means more effective than mere blasphemy to do so.  Some record may reveal how soon after initial maneuvering of the 15-inch prototype, the Pattern 1861 was redesigned by moving the trunnions 1.25 inches rearward to make the weapon balance on them.  This redesign also replaced one-way ratchets by two way handspike sockets.”  “The lone prototype 15-inch Rodman gun was fired 509 proofing rounds during 1860 and 1861. The first order to Fort Pitt Foundry for 15-inch Pattern 1861 was issued 20 November 1861, against which the first pair were proofed in October 1862.”

So, now that we know that the “Lincoln” gun 15” prototype was the ONLY prototype and that no other 15-inch pattern 1861 guns were cast until C.A. cast the first in Mar of 1862 and the first was accepted and assigned Registry No. 1  by Rodman on 2 Oct. 1863, 19 months later.  The important thing now is to try and locate the actual seacoast artillery piece with Reg. No. 1 or take a look at the earliest 15-inch Rodman produced in the first Army order for 50 at $6,500 each that was let to Cyrus Alger & Company and inspected by Thomas J. Rodman. 

Eureeka!  Are we in luck.  According to the National List of Surviving  Civil War Artillery, 15-Inch Rodman Gun Reg. No. 1 still exists and is located at Fort Foote on the Potomac River south of Washington which was one of the 60 plus forts and redoubts in the “Circle of  Forts” which protected the northern capitol during the war.  The second gun in the Fort Foote battery is Reg. No. 30, also made by Cyrus Alger in that first order of 50.  It was cast in 1864.

And, even more fortunately, the seacoast boys included that fort on their Oct. 2008 research trip and took lots and lots of photos of both big guns.  The captions tell the story.

Boom J. and all other skeptics, you are most welcome!  We enjoyed preparing this report.

Tracy and Mike

What the Fort Foote Battery looked like in 2008.  The very first of the 15-inch Rodman guns, Pattern 1861.

The mushroom cascabel knob of the 15-inch Rodman gun, Reg. No. 1.  Looks like sockets to us, with a cast iron fulcrum box for the socket hand spike which together,  allowed the artillerymen to move the balanced tube Up or Down.

Mike takes a good look at the muzzle and then yells out to me,  “Tracy, I found it!!”  You can see enough of the stamped lettering to identify this gun as No. 1,  but there is so much paint on the muzzle face it’s hard to see them in a photo.

In our largest version of this photo, a portion of the ‘N’ in No.  and a clear number ‘1’ can be seen at 9 o’clock.  A very faint CA&Co can be seen at 12 and a really clear 49618 Lb at 2 and an 1863 at 5.  A T.J.R. is at 7.

More Sockets on the second 15" Rodman in Fort Foote.

The other gun at Fort Foote, on the Survivor List is Reg. No. 30.  The number cannot be seen, but the casting year of 1864 can, the ordnance inspector’s initials of CC and the gun weight of 49618 can be seen clearly.  These match the numbers on the National Survivor's List.

Mike takes a last look at #30’s chassis as the sun gets lower and is in our faces as we look across the Potomac.  It has been a good day for the dynamic duo, a very good day.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GLS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Here are some recent photos from Charleston SC.

As for the Rodmans

Fot Sumpter

Fort Moultrie Rodmans not posted yet

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
OOPS one slipped in not a Rodman.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     Our avatar shows what happens to a 15" cored shot when it impacts a 6" thick plate of wrought iron armor.  It's located today at the Washington Navy Yard.

Here is a very descriptive sign from the area near the residences where the Prototype 15" Rodman Gun is located at fort Monroe. 

Here is the same gun on it's wartime mount in the 'Sand Battery', from which it fired huge 15" shells into the Confederate positions on Sewells Point.  To do this the shells would have to pass right over Federal Fort Wool located on the rip-raps very close to the middle of the Hampton Roads entrance.  We have never read of any 15" Rodman production guns being fired in anger. 

Courtesy LOC.gov.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Gentlemen,

It is simply a sincere direct question, not a challenge; what would I be challenging? :o Besides, I don't own a gauntlet to throw down on the ground, I'd have to borrow one of Richards, and could you imagine what he'd say to me when I slammed it to the floor, probably something like: Why in the heck are you denting my gauntlet?  ;)

Guys I'm going to try and be brief here in an effort to cut down on the typing.

1. Your photos and captions. I added the red highlights.

"In this photo you can see I have my left hand on the mushroom or button head of a 10" Rodman Gun at Fort Knox in Maine.  You can easily see that the 'Neck' of this style Cascabel is very large in diameter and would not be fragile during a lift."

2. Your photo and caption.

"The rear of the same cannon showing the broad surface of the 'Knob' with it's elevation 'sockets' which are found on all but one Rodman Gun."

3. Your photo and caption.

"This Rodman Gun is that exception.  Cast in 1860, this Rodman displays the old 'Ratchets'.  This gun was given a nickname in 1862 of a prominent figure in the Civil War not liked too much in the South.  It is located on the grounds of one of only four seacoast forts not taken over by the Confederacy, but located in a, once Confederate, state."

Ok, then came my question.
"M&T,
What makes you think that the 15-inch Rodman "Lincoln" gun at Ft. Monroe is the only Rodman gun with elevating ratchets extant?"

Alright, then you offer your answer on the opening post of this thread, which you believe proves your above statements. There is only one Rodman gun in existence that has the elevating ratchets feature, and that's the "Lincoln Gun" located at Fort Monroe.

Now, Tracy and Mike, as far as I'm aware, there are sixteen known surviving 8-inch Rodman gun prototypes (all cast at Fort Pitt Foundry in 1861) that have elevating ratchets; plus the 15-inch Rodman prototype made at FPF in 1860 (with ratchets) called the 'Lincoln Gun', which is located at Fort Monroe. My source for this is the "National Registry of Known Surviving Civil War Artillery."

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
   Yes, of course there are a whole bunch of 8" Rodmans with ratchets. The Big Guns has two whole pages with lists and references to them.  No secret there.  Thought you were writing about the 15 Inchers.  Say, if you ever find a photo of the special, large-screw, lifting devices  attached to the side of at least one of those 10" Rodman guns in the 40-gun water battery at Fort Monroe, it would be quite a coup.  We only saw that photo once and a copy went bye-bye when our co. computer crashed 5 years ago.

Tracy & Mike

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Hhhmmmmmm, I see. If I ever happen to run across that photograph, you'll definitely be amongst the first I'll share the news with. 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
    Rodman's Mammoth Powder of 1" cube style was used in tests of the 15" Rodman Guns at Fort Monroe and Fort Hancock.  These large powders along with large grain perforated cake powder was used by Rodman in his experiments to ease the strain on these large guns which shot 40, 50 and 60 pounds of black powder per shot.  The 20 incher at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn, NY actually used 50, 100, 150 and 200 pounds in range testing after the Civil War was over.  8,000 yards was achieved with 200 pounds of Mammoth Powder, a Rodman invention.  This was with a 1,080 pound cored shot.  The 15" Rodman fired a cored shot too, but it weighed a mere 440 pounds.  As the story goes, the sand core dia. was only 5", but the theory was that cooling and shrinkage would proceed after casting while fewer wrinkles or other distortions of the shot would occur.  Enjoy the pics.

Mike and Tracy

These 370 pound 15" Rodman shells at Battery Rodgers in Alexandria, Virginia appear to be single fused (one hole), while the 15" shells fired by the Dahlgren Guns aboard the Passaic Class Monitors were triple fused (three holes in a triangle), with water-cap fuses.  Note the huge above-ground powder magazine to serve the big Rodmans and large Parrott rifles in the battery. Photo is courtesy of www.old-pictures.com

The biggest seacoast gun in Battery Rodgers on the Potomac River was this 15" Rodman Gun.  Not shown is a special scraping tool used to remove large amounts of residue left behind when this gun fired 50 pound charges.  A researcher back in the day remarked that he picked up a hole basket of the 1" cube powder, partially burned, within 50 yards of the gun.  These BP cubes were pressed during manufacture at the same pressures expected within the bore, approximately 30,000 psi. and obviously did not always burn up entirely within the bore.  Pic is courtesy of SMDC/ARSTRAT.

Another big Rodman gun and an 8" Parrott Rifle in Battery Rodgers.  Pic is from www.old-pictures.com

Another view of these from www.old-pictures.com.  Note the bottom edge of the upper carriage in this photo.  Look at the staggered pattern, double row of rivets binding the reinforcing angle iron to the wrought iron cheek plate.  You will see this on upper carriages only for the 8" and the 300 pdr. Parrott, not the 100 pdr, (it has only a single row of rivets).  The 300 pdr. or 10" Parrott is so massive, it's hard to mistake it for any other type. The 100 pdr (6.4") and the 200 pdr (8") are easily confused for one another at certain angles and at certain distances.  Now you know how to tell the difference between them.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
    Mike and Tracy

Another big Rodman gun and an 8" Parrott Rifle in Battery Rodgers.  Pic is from www.old-pictures.com

Interesting layout with the center pivot and the front pivot barbette carriages.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
    Mike and Tracy

/quote]

Interesting layout with the center pivot and the front pivot barbette carriages.

Dom,  Mike and I were looking at that yesterday and we figure they wanted to have some capacity to fire at a ship which has past the battery and is coming back for another broadside.  Also the battery planners probably wanted the 8" Parrott Rifle to begin the bombardment at a mile or so, with follow-up shots possible if the longer range shots missed.  I don't believe we have seen this layout in any other location.  At Fort McHenry which protected Baltimore, Maryland, there are similar layouts within the water battery which is lousy with Rodmans, both 10 and 15 Inch.

Tracy & Mike

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
It appears to me that the carriages were designed for the different type fortresses.  The Casemate carriage, it appears, when the gun is in battery ready to fire, the front pivot is aligned with the muzzle.  This would allow the gun to be fired from a small opening in a wall.  Same with the front pivot Barbette.  The center pivot allows a larger degree of traverse.  Make sense?