Author Topic: Scope advice for contender pistols and a please  (Read 331 times)

Offline qswdef

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Avid Poster
Scope advice for contender pistols and a please
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:14:42 PM »
A friend of mine is offering me a used Burris 2x20 and a Bushnell 2-6x32 for a very good price.  Both in top shape.  I was hoping the Burris would be good for my 14" .44 mag  (shooting beer cans 50-100 yards) and the Busnell  on my 14" .204 ruger. I'll be doing the beer can thing with the .204 out to 200 yards or so.  Not hunting.  Would either ot both of these be good choices?  Any big downside to either other than the Leupold does everything better?
Thanks much.

Offline OleFreak

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Scope advice for contender pistols and a please
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:54:20 AM »
On my Super 14’s I now have 2x Leupold on .44 Mag, 4x Burris on .22LR Match, and 2-7x Burris on .223 Remington.  The last Bushnell I had on a handgun was a skinny 4x with built in rail on a very early Contender with an octagon .22 Hornet barrel that some of the other fossils might remember from 35 years ago.  That Bushnell didn’t want to stay put even while riding a dinky little Hornet. 

The Leupold LER still offers the best view through the largest ‘window’ with the Burris not quite as good or easy to use but also had for not quite as much money.  I had two 2x Leupold shared by the three 14’s for about a decade.  I took off the top ring halves and moved it to the next taking care to mount it positioned the same each time.  Dialed whatever I recorded from the last time around and it took very few rounds to zero.  The worst of it was trying to get it tight enuf while not buggerin up the slotted screw heads time after time after time.  Then I bought those Burris and two more Burris Mini 3-9x for Carbine barrels.  One of the Leupold’s left when I let a Ruger Gov. Model MK-II Target get away during hard times.  The .223 Carbine will have one of the Mini’s swapped out for a Nikon Monarch 4-16x50mm soon as I get the new 23” G2 .204 Ruger barrel going with an older 1” Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mmAO.  The new Remington 700 VLS also in .204 Ruger gets the new 30mm Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mmLR.  There are assorted other cheap Swift, Simmons, and Konus doing a reasonably good job with the KonusPro 2.5x Turkey ridding a 10/22 for now that is the best of the cheap stuff.  All this babble boils down to “You get what you pay for”.  I try to do the best that I can when the time comes so for awhile, now I’m broke again.  But I do have enough toys to keep my busy for awhile.  Put your glass in good mounts and enjoy.