Author Topic: Projects projects projects...  (Read 863 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Projects projects projects...
« on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
As I said in my post in the wooden boat thread, I've recently had time to do little things I've wanted to but not had time to do.

I needed a stitching pony for leatherwork so I sketched up some dimentions and went to Lowe's for the wood.  I figured a simple litttle thing like that would give me some trigger time on assorted hand and power tooks, etc.  Sort of a woodworking refresher 101.

Had a good time, dug out a bunch of tools I haven't used in years, cleaning and repairing them as I went along, that sort of thing.

I used Poplar for the pony and also got some practice on wood finishing, which I used to love to do.  I had a can of minwax red mahogany stain I'd been wanting to try and let me tell you, Poplar does not like to take a stain!  It's much worse then Cherry which I'd always thought was difficult!

Anyway, I've had fun getting reacquainted with woodworking.  Next up is an oak stand for a Grandmother clock.  It will stand on top of an oak curio cabinet in our front hall.  I just have not had the nerve to put a skill saw to the oak board I have...
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Dirt Bag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Projects projects projects...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »
   Lot to be said about a couple weeks of idle down time "Law,----- and keeping the hands and mind busy. Don't really matter how many projects, or what they are.......  Making sawdust and shavings is good for the head and soul, and can sure help get the bubble back in the middle.  --- And keep it there. 
   We never stop thinking about projects...... or starting on new ones. Always wanted to try making turkey calls...... Then there's the three foot long maple spoons for stirring the big kettles when we are canning......and all them pretty walnut scraps left over from gunstocks laying around here, would sure make some fine pistol grips......etc......
    Keep thinking about building that boat Richard.  You can do it.
                                                                                                   Best;
                                                                                                             D.B.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
We never stop thinking about projects...... or starting on new ones.

True, but there's one slight difference there DB... you got talent!   ;D

I'm having a good time though.  Like you said, it's "good for the head and soul, and can sure help get the bubble back in the middle."

p.s.  Looks like the Penobscot 14 is gonna be it!  See the wooden boat thread!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
The first project I have to do is clean up the shop.  Until I do that I don't have any room to start any new projects. Then I need to finish the project I have started, a mesquite hallway table.  It's mesquite edged with walnut.  I've got the top done, I just need to make the trestle legs.  And then..........

Alan