Author Topic: AR Shorty Build  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Avyctes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
AR Shorty Build
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:39:56 AM »
I just finished this build and thought I'd post a couple photos and the specs.  I've built it over two years, just buying parts here and there as I could afford them.  Eventually it will wear a Burris FastFire II holo sight, but for now it has a AimShot holo sight.

AR Build:
DPMS LoPro 16" upper
DPMS Stripped lower
Stag Lower parts kit
Magpul CTR Stock
Magpul MOE Handguards
Magpul PMag Window Magazine
EMA Tactical pistol grip
EMA Tactical Round Counter Magazine
MaTech Rear flip sight
Yankee Hill Front flip sight
Mount n Slot Sling Mount
Buffer
Buffer Tube
Buffer Spring
Buffer nut, washer
Leather m1907 Sling
HK sling clip
Burris FastFire II Reflex

Both my Bushmaster and DPMS together, sitting in my late grandfather's chair, who would be 100 this year...

"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: AR Shorty Build
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:10:53 AM »
Nice build! Does that magpul moe handguard have a rail on top (or slots to attach one) to mount a sight? If so how long of a rail can be mounted on top? Been looking for a while some of their literature states 12 o'clock, some does not.
Thanks
Molon labe

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:13:20 AM »
It has slots at the 1200 position, and you could run a rail full length of it.  I'll have to measure it and get back with you to know exact length.  Until then, I'll try to attach this photo I found showing the top of the hand guard.  Thanks for the comment.  I still have yet to put the first round through this AR, looking forward to it!
"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:17:28 AM »
By the way if I had to do it again I would probably have got a different sling.  I happened to have this spare sling, the type you would put on an M1 Garand or an '03 Springfield.  I really liked the stuff from Mount -N- Slot, and wanted to use one of their parts along with a 1 1/4" HK snap I found online.  The problem I ran into was that the area of the sling with the steel hooks and rivets would not pass through the slot in the HK snap.  I had to dremel it out.  Turned out Ok, but was a big hassle.  But, I really liked the way that military brown leather looked on all that black.  I know just a simple black nylon sling is all it needs, but the look of leather adds a touch of class to me.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline JWP58

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:53:07 AM »
What is the use of this carbine? Plinking? Range toy?

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
Pretty much.  I already had a Bushmaster Varminter with the 24" barrel.  Just wanted a short one, and wanted the experience of piecing one together.  Far from the cheaper way to go, just to get one.  But at least you get the features you want - and if you don't it's your own fault.  This piece will just go to the range now and then, and probably more frequently than the Varminter.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »
Bugflipper, looks like up to a 6" rail would fit on this handguard.

Chris.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline JWP58

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 02:57:03 PM »
Check out bravocompanyusa for your next AR.