Author Topic: It's been a LONG week!  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
It's been a LONG week!
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »
My Dad passed away a week ago, and we had his funeral yesterday.
I was asked to give his "life sketch", and the last line was "young ladies of all ages need to remember that there ain't a pigtail, ponytail, nor apron string that ain't fair game for Dad on the other side"...(Dad was a hugely successful and prolific practical jokester)
As we were heading out of the chapel to the hearse, I had my mother on my arm, and we were following my sisters.  Sis' skirt fell down around her knees after the drawstring came loose, and Mom and I blurted simultaneously "DAD/DARRELD"!!!!!!  and then started belly laughing all the way out.  No one behind us knew what was going on, and I'm sure they all think we were either drunk or delirious, or something......
Sorry, just had to share.
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: It's been a LONG week!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »
Sorry for your loss. Someone a lot smarter than me once said, "Mourning is for the folks left behind, not our dearly departed." Be assured he is in a safe place.

That story is the kind legends are made of.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »
Darreld,

I think your dad's spirit still lives in his son. :) 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »
Darreld,

I think your dad's spirit still lives in his son. :) 

BB

well put !!!!  ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:55:27 PM »
Condolences sir, sorry to hear of your loss!!

I am a firm believer that mourning IS for the living. Feeling sorry for myself has never been my way. Sounds like you are the same!! What dosen't kill you makes you stronger...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about your Dad.To bad the other people didn't see that.I can't imagine how that would be to see.It did give you a laugh and raised you and your Mom's spirits.Just keep his memory close.My Dad passed in 1991.I could still smell his pipe tobacco in the garage until the 1999 Haysville tornado took Moms' house.Blessings to you and yours from me and mine.Slow
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline pelican717

• Trade Count: (49)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »
A very good memory for your family, and a smile from your Dad!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have many great memories of your dad. They will live on. The greatest memory I have of my Grandfather is him right down on the floor on Christmass day playing battling tops with us kids.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »
My condolences too. I went through that type of mourning a little over a year ago for Dad and it still hits me at odd moments now.  I think that just shows the love we gave and received. And that is meant to be passed on.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »
Darreld, I'm very sorry for your loss. Let his spirit live in you. It does sound that way. -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:54:20 AM »
Many sincere thanks to all of you!  Believe it or not, just hearing that it'll get better makes getting there easier.
It helps a bunch, too, being oldest of six kids, and having ten of my own, for support, plus a HUGE extended family that adore Mom and Dad.
What was tough was seeing Dad in a diseased 82 year old body with a 19 year old brain, wanting a highboy Ford, and not being able to step up onto the stool to get into it, or trying to shoot a 10 pound '06 without a support.
I hope to be able to turn around at the end and say that I had as good a run as he did! :)
P.S. I found him a 219 Savage .30-30 that he craved for some reason a few years back, I'll have to dig it out and start playing with it.  Not the kind of support for it that there is for the Handi's, but it'll be fun, in any event.
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:16:46 AM »
I'll be 70 in three weeks, and I'm an orphan.  Both my parents are gone.  Mom at 98 last summer.  They're in a better place....not hurting or suffering.  We will pray for you and your family.  Your loss is our's too.  Turn back in on that large family and LOVE them.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 04:11:18 AM »
So sorry for your loss, I'll keep a good thought for you.
I also appreicate your story you shared. God bless.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline handirandy

• GOD, guts, and guns. In that order!
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 04:11:55 AM »
P.S. I found him a 219 Savage .30-30 that he craved for some reason a few years back, I'll have to dig it out and start playing with it.  Not the kind of support for it that there is for the Handi's, but it'll be fun, in any event.

Support?  Doesn't much matter.  Its got your support.  That's all that matters because it belonged to Dad.  I know, I just inherited a Rem 870 410 bore after Dad passed a few months ago..  I don't need it and have no real use for it.  But I was with dad the day he bought it - way back when.  And one of my kids will get it someday.  Nuff said.
This is the day the Lord has made.  I choose to rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 05:23:36 AM »
You are 'on point' for me on this one........sorry for your loss. Youre setting a good example!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Metaldoc

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Nebraska
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »
Being a believer, I think funerals should be a celebration of life as we know we're going to have a great reunion one day.  Sounds to me like you did indeed have a celebration of a life well lived!  God Bless!