Author Topic: Which would you prefer?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline jason045

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
Which would you prefer?
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:25:17 PM »
I would like to put together a 3 barrel handi setup and would like a little input.  First barrel will be a versa-pak .22 LR reamed to .22wmr.  Second will be a 12 ga.  Undecided on length and choke on this one.  Third I want a centerfire capable of 200-300 yard shots on whitetail, but I want it to be something commonly available.  I have narrowed it down to .270, .308, and 30-06.  Truth be told I would rather have a 7mm-08 or 25-06 so it could double as a long range cotote getter too.  But like I said, if it came down to it, I would like to be able to go into a backwoods country store and buy a box of ammo if I got in a bind and I dont think either of those would be as readily available as my other choices.I welcome any suggestions or advice.  At this point, I'm just waiting for either a .270,.308, or 30-06 barrel to hit the classifieds.  Whichever comes up first will be the one I go with unless someone changes my mind
You never know when ya got too much gun, but ya dang sure know when ya aint got enough!

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Which would you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »
You have your first one.
The 12ga would be nice as a 18" to 26" fitted with screw in chokes.
I just had an 18" shorty done with chokes.
Makes for a very quick handling gun with the option of fine tuning my patterens.
As for a rifle barrel I would pick either the 270 or 06 over the 308 only for the reason you stated, wanting to be able to walk into any store and finding ammo.
My self, I would choose the 270 because it will do a fine job on deer along with other game from varmints to med bears with the right ammo.
Nothing wrong with the 06 but the 270 will do the same thing with less recoil and a better choice of factory ammo in the lighter weights.
I have found the 130gr will do all that you ask in the realms that you have mentioned.
If you had said bigger bears or elk hunting most of the time I would have gone with the 06.
Hope this helps you decide.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »
I like the idea and have something similar. I have a .22 Mag Versa Pak barrel, an 18.5" 20 gauge shotgun barrel with screw in chokes, and a .223 barrel, all on a survivor stock and in a Versa Pak case. I think the OP's choice of rifle barrel and a readily available ammo would be dependant on his area. Here in the Northeast 30-06's and .308's far outnumber .270's and they are available at just about every shop and country store in the boonies. They USUALLY have a box or two of .270 as well, but always the .30's. If you really want to be able to resupply anywhere in the Northeast make the centerfire rifle barrel a 30/30. With Hornady Leverevolution ammo, it's a great deer round, capable of black bear and moose as well, and available EVERYwhere in one loading or another.
....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:48:55 PM »
I would pick the .270 over the .308 or 30-06 because you want long range performance. Wouldn't even consider the 30-30.

Offline jason045

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:52:09 PM »
Down here in the swamps of Louisiana the biggest thing I'll be shooting is a whitetail.  The black bear is making a comeback here but they are not very large and a season on them is a ways off.  If I'm lucky enough to draw tags again, maybe a gator but the .22 will handle that.  All three of the calibers I mentioned are available most everywhere for the most part but I would have to say that the .308 is definitely the most abundant followed by the .270 then the 06.  Im with you on the 30-30 tobster.  Looking for a little more range but not extreme range.  300 yards would be stretching it and shots that far would be few and far between.  I think the .308 is winning in my mind right now.
You never know when ya got too much gun, but ya dang sure know when ya aint got enough!

Offline tomf52

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »
You are  kidding aren't you about ammo availability at a country store being a factor in your decision? Think about it. If you plan a trip or hunt away from home you would at least have the necessary ammo stock with you to cover the trip's activities. There seems to me to  be more weighty factors in making your caliber choice. Just my thoughts anyway.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 06:17:45 PM »
All of you make valid points.

MSP Ret
You are correct as to the part of the country you are in.
I was thinking about around here.
I too considered the 30-30 but that was not one of his choices and he wanted a little more range than the 30-30 can obtain with certainty.

tobster
True, the 270 does have a fine rep for long range but so do the other two.

tomf52
Things do happen, lost ammo, either on the trail or by the airlines.

jason045
Nothing wrong with your leaning towards the 308.
It will do just as good as the others!

LONGTOM

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »
tomf52:  You would not believe how many times I have gotten people to camp and when they unpacked, they had no ammo.  Usually some odball caliber like the
.30 SSM, or .338 Ruger.  I carry a Handi 30-06 to camp just for that occasion.  I keep boxes of 30-06, .338 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag, just in ncase they have one of those populer calibers.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 300winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:02:40 PM »
I'm a 30-06 fan.......but I think you would be better with the 270........it is closer to a 7mm-08 and 25-06, and easily makes a good coyote round........lighter recoil, better BC, any place thats sells '06 ammo will sell 270........but you can't go wrong with any of your choices....

BTW, I shoot a 25-06, and I don't know if it is going thru a comeback or what, but I seem to see it at every store that sells ammo anymore......but that might just be location...
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 01:47:17 AM »
IF I had to have a big game caliber and it was limited to the three major rounds you mentioned, I'd have to go with the .308.  Think on it for just a minute...
The '06 and .270, fine rounds that they are really need at least a 22 inch barrel, and either will really shine with 24 or 26 inch tubes.  The .308 works well with little noticeable velocity loss in barrels as short as 20 inches.  Well, you'll see less velocity loss, maybe that makes more sense.  The two bigger cases, to get the highest velocities, need powders at the slower end of the spectrum, meaning longer tubes.  The .308, with a shorter, somewhat fatter case, uses medium rate powders with bullets up to 180 grains very efficiently, and needs less barrel length to get that faster powder used up.
As to ammunition availability.....I have done it myself.  Several times.  Left it sitting on the counter while loading the truck, looked right at it, and walked past it.  For the last twenty years, however, I ALWAYS have a backup rifle, even if it's a road hunt with just me and the Super Pooch, AND, I routinely keep a box of .223, .308, 270, '06 and .357 mag in the console of my rigs, as well as stashed in the camp trailer. 
BTW, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to take a Shirras moose with a quality 150 gr. .270 bullet.  Elk die very efficiently with good 130's, as well.  When comparing the rounds, take a look at the sectional densities of the available bullets.  It's an eye opener, if you've never done it.  That 130 gr. 270 bullet has a sectional density that compares really closely to the 165 gr, .30's.
I understand the difference in the geographical areas, and hunt tactics, so please understand that "out here" things work a little differently.  We hunt whitetails in the same areas that are inhabited by elk, moose, antelope and mule deer.  300+ yard opportunities abound.
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline dks7895

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 04:54:26 AM »
The .270, .30-06, or .308 will all fit the bill.  Ammo is also readily available and fairly inexpensive for them all.  I would keep your eyes open on the classifieds and grab any of them.

If it were a choice... I prefer the .308 Winchester.  Lots of different factory loads, and can be loaded down easily for varmints, and up for larger game.  I like the shorter case and the lighter recoil is nice.  Ballistically they are all so close, it's not really worth discussing. 
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 05:26:39 AM »
7mm-08 the ammo is just as available here in the south as the .308.  Great bullet selection, low recoil compared to others. 
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline roostershooter

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 05:28:34 AM »
If it were me I would go with the 308. Used to have a '06, forgot my ammo on a trip stopped at a store in the boonies and they only had one choice in '06 but a zillion of 308. If you don't already have the 22 barrel a semi auto 22Lr can be had for about 150 new at big box stores ( mostly Marlin ). While I love my old '06 the 308 is a shooter, if your looking for a opinion poll the 308 gets my vote.

Offline rockrat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 05:49:11 AM »
I would take the 308.   That said, the 30-06 would come in a close second.    If you reload, and maybe cast bullets, there are alot more 30 cal moulds available, than 270
Its not that Life is too short, its that Death is too long!!

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 05:49:18 AM »
Have a similar combo of Handi barrels, only I hesitate to rechamber my VP barrel and lose all the .22RF options.  I like the 22" youth shotgun barrels (20ga or 12ga with mod choke).  Can't decide on a single centerfire rifle caliber, so I have six - including a .308 ::)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 07:24:12 AM »
So many options nowdays in the .22LR; and if you need more than it for punch over 50yd. maybe have some lighter bullet loads for your CF caliber? There I would opt for the .308, though handload spitzers in a 30-30 would reach out pretty well, and factory loads are available everywhere. As far as ammo availability, maybe use the 'Wal-Mart test'?
I think Id go for a 20ga. unless you already have the 12, and be able to use a non-recoil pad equiped stock to reduce weight.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »
hey jason I'm also from the swamps of Louisiana and it is hard to go wrong with the .308.  The earlier post was right on about needing the longer tubes for the bigger rounds.  And around here everybody who sells ammo carries a couple different boxes of .308

Offline jason045

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 05:02:01 PM »
Rooster i have 3 10/22s and love them all but what Im looking at is having a 3 barrel setup that will fit nicely in a relatively small case that will stay in the truck fulltime and handle anything I might need to do.  I also considered the efficiency of the .308 in a shorter barrel I like it.  The final straw came today when I had to work out of town and I stopped in at a couple of stores waaayyy out in the boonies.  One had 3 kinds of .308 and the other had 6!  Im pretty much set on a .308 now.  Thanks for all the input.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 05:12:02 PM »
1. 22mag VP barrel
2. 20" 12ga. threaded for chokes
3. 30-06 (best cartridge to ever wear a headstamp)

You can take any game animal in North America with these three. ;)

As far as ammo availability... the 22 mag ammo would be the hardest to find out in the boonies... the other two can be found anywhere. You'd be better off sticking to plain old 22 lr ammo.

Spanky

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
Why would you for-go MAXIMUM versatility by omitting the .30/06?  THEE MOST POPULAR big game cartridge available ANYWHERE in the USA?

I'm putting together my own 4-barrel Versa Pack system.

I already have a 20" Versa Pack .22LR barrel

Why screw it up by making it a WMR?  And unsafe for shooting the .22 Long Rifle? 
(Or the 22 Long or .22Short catridges?).  I agree the WMR is a great cartridge, but the .22LR is more versatile.

And the .223 can be loaded down to WMR velocities (with BlueDot, SR4759, and TrailBoss?)   :)

I also have a 22" MOD 12ga barrel.

And a 22" standard contour .30/06 barrel. 

Also with a singleshot break-open firearm, what advantage is there to shorter-cartridges?

I love the .308 Win, but in a Handi-Rifle the .30/06 is the better choice!  One isn't easier nor harder to load than the other - its done the same way with both, using the some movements, coordination, etc., etc., etc.

But I also like that the .30/06 is a little bit more powerful and even a little better suited for killing elk or moose!  In addition to being more POPULAR than both the .270W and .308W - according to ammo sales.

The one barrel I still need is a standard contour .223 Remy.

Some folks might choose the .22-250, but the four choices I want are the four that I think ARE BEST for North America, and the 'Survivalist.' 

I agree all of them are un-exciting and pretty vanilla,  but also practical.  With the

.22 Long Rifle
.223 Remington
.30/06
and 12 gauge,  .....  I can take ANYTHING in the USA I might want or ever NEED TO.   ;D

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 06:52:29 AM »
1. 22mag VP barrel
2. 20" 12ga. threaded for chokes
3. 30-06 (best cartridge to ever wear a headstamp)

You can take any game animal in North America with these three. ;)

As far as ammo availability... the 22 mag ammo would be the hardest to find out in the boonies... the other two can be found anywhere. You'd be better off sticking to plain old 22 lr ammo.

Spanky
If your heart is really set on .22 mag, you can make your self some chamber inserts by cutting the rim(base) off of some of your .22mag empties. ;D Taking a #1 wire gauge drill bit twist it through these by hand. Then push a .22 wire cleaning brush through them a few times. make as many as you want. This will stop the bursting of hulls when firing .22 rim fire in a .22 mag. ;) Accuracy will most likely jist be minute of squirrel or rabbit..  :-[
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 07:37:09 AM »
Didnt work for me, YMMV.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Antietamgw

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 09:27:03 AM »
Whether you are planning a trip next fall or maybe for longer term needs, I think versatility, availability of ammo and parts is important and the Handi's are a great platform for this. Shame there arn't more Versa paks around.  I think you would be fine with any of the 30 cal choices.  We shoot mostly cast and rarely factory stuff.  30-06 was my first and favorite cartridge but we shoot alot more .30-30  and that's my choice in the Handi. I don't need to shoot very far for deer so the mild cartridges are just fine. The .30-30 (.308, .30-06) properly loaded can actually take the place of the .22 for serious use  but just for cheap plinking, a .22 barrel makes good sense.  I'd hate to have to cast all the bullets my kids and I have put through .22's over the years. It's hard enough to just keep up with 30 and 35 cal cast bullets. As a side note, I shot my first Sportster .22 last weekend. Federal AutoMatch shot some real nice 1/2" 50yd groups, even with the shifty wind we had. I had almost forgotten the joys of an accurate .22. I'm going to enjoy this one.
Keep your plow share and your sword - know how and when to use them.

Offline roostershooter

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 10:01:38 AM »
Rooster i have 3 10/22s and love them all but what I'm looking at is having a 3 barrel setup that will fit nicely in a relatively small case that will stay in the truck fulltime and handle anything I might need to do.  I also considered the efficiency of the .308 in a shorter barrel I like it.  The final straw came today when I had to work out of town and I stopped in at a couple of stores waaayyy out in the boonies.  One had 3 kinds of .308 and the other had 6!  Im pretty much set on a .308 now.  Thanks for all the input.

If it's staying in the truck then yeah a 3 barrel setup will be nice, I'm starting to really like that idea as well. 22 mag is a great choice, I've used a 22mag revolver to dispatch quite a few hogs. I've been wanting to score a cheap handi and chop and re-crown down to 16 1/2 inches with a lower or fixed power scope in 308, would be a real hog getter to keep in the truck. Good luck with your project.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »
Before writing my previous post above, I had forgotten that McAce Sports (Ace Dube) of Anchroage, AK, offers chamber adapters to shoot .22WMR from a .223Rem barrel!

Also, why chop those barrels to as SHORT as possible!!??

But what I really wanted to throw out for discussion .....

Those of you making your own "Versa Packs" / switch-barrel combos, what kind of a case have you found to transport and store everything?

I have considered an inexpensive (if one was available) hard breakdown shotgun case, or a clarinet case or similar, but best choice I think I've seen is a 14X40inch 'Bulldog' case (or similar) from MidwayUSA for @$60 new.  One model is offered with foam blocks inside it that the buyer cuts to fit his/her own unique "stuff" to go inside!  With 4-barrels, 2 of them with scope, i wonder if such a case would hold the 4-barrel Versa-combo I'm putting together?

Offline jason045

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 10:50:36 AM »
That is kinda what I been looking at cougar.  They sell aluminum cases in various sizes on the auction site mostly for camera equipment and such but they look as if they would work well in this application too.  They also have the "pick and pluck" foam so you can customize it for the contents.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
jason I lean towards the 308, if your coyote's are like ours in FL. there pelts probably not worth saving so it doesent matter if you hit them with a 308 or 12 ga. the yardages that you might hunt the 308 will do just fine.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
Those of you making your own "Versa Packs" / switch-barrel combos, what kind of a case have you found to transport and store everything?

You might want to check out HANDI CARRYING CASES in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain