Author Topic: .357Max info  (Read 493 times)

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
.357Max info
« on: March 13, 2011, 05:56:56 AM »
Thought I would post this here as so many of you have maxi's.  Started out with mine using A1680 powder behind a 185gr FPGC bullet beginning with 25gr and working up.  All the way up to 29gr charge the soot problem remained terrible and accuracy sucked---large groups and somewhat erratic shifts in POA.  Finally woke up, reread Steve's loading data from 357max.com, and switched to CCI 450 primers from the 400's I was using.  First test load was 26gr of 1680 and the soot virtually vanished.  Got a 1" group at 28gr with no signs of pressure.  More work needed but I'm getting there.  I understand that 1680 is the slowest powder recommended for this cartridge and it apparently needs the magnum primer for proper ignition, at least behind this bullet. YMMV.  Usual disclaimers about charges used.  Goatwhiskers the Elder

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
Re: .357Max info
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 07:56:16 AM »
That's good info.I loaded some of my 180 JHP with 26 gr.of AA1680.Shot real good using remy brass and WSRP.Very good groups.Not as good as the H110/296 loads of 21- 23 gr.Same primers.Gave up on the lead in this gun.Just been shooting the cheap remmy 180 JHP's.
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:33:04 AM »
Gonna take some time before I decide about lead in this gun.  Started out with some 180gr Hornady HP's which was all I could find at the time and they gave great groups (<1") but I have a real hang-up about using HP's for game other than coyotes,etc.  Got hold of these 185's and some 200gr and figured I'd work with them a while.  Have a notion that 2400 and 4227 are gonna be better, only time and burnt powder will tell.  Love this cartridge.  Goatwhiskers

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »
I had some of the XTP's loaded over H110 this past year, and took a deer on the run.  I too was concerned about the hollow point, but I led too far and took the animal in the left front shoulder bone.  It exited the opposite shoulder and pulled bone out with it.  Massive damage.  No problem with killing, might be meat lost depending on shot placement.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)