Author Topic: My Buffalo Classic is locked up  (Read 612 times)

Offline DanM1

• Trade Count: (0)
My Buffalo Classic is locked up
« on: March 12, 2011, 07:56:09 AM »
Well, I got stupid, and was dry firing my new (50rds fired) BC, and after the third pull over an empty chamber, I was unable to open the action. It is locked up tighter than Dick's hatband, and won't open for anything. Since it is new, I could send it in for warranty work. I called Ilon, and they said I would get quicker turn around from one of the service centers. This one is closest to me:

Paducah Shooters
3919 Cairo Road
Paducah, KY  42001
(877) 772-3006

I am fairly good at this kind of gun work, but have never messed with an H&R. Should I send it in, or take it apart and order the broken part? I was considering a detail strip anyway, and doing a trigger job on it. What do you guys think?

Offline watsisname

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
Re: My Buffalo Classic is locked up
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 08:17:32 AM »
If it was my new rifle I would call H&R and ask them to send me a UPS shipping label and would ship it back to the factory. They should be the best qualified do the repairs and ask for a trigger job while they are at it. They have done some for many of us at no charge. Just my opinion...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:26:41 AM »
+1 on asking for a call tag to cover shipping since it's new.  ;) Did ya try cocking the hammer to see if it helped? Although it's probably a broken transfer bar and will need to be replaced anyway, there's a warning not to dry fire in the owner's manual, unfortunately you're not the first to have it happen.   :'(  And welcome to GBO!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DanM1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »
I hadn't thought about asking for a call tag. Good idea that. I just got a lower Lyman (.404")  front sight to replace the too tall one it came with and was looking forward to some fun this weekend. Guess I will have to shoot something else for a while. Thanks....

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
Or you could pull the trigger group out and look inside..........might be you can find the bind and/or pursuade the latch to move.
They arent Swiss watches.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974