Author Topic: New Reticles for Nikon scopes?  (Read 959 times)

Offline the jigger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
New Reticles for Nikon scopes?
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:02:24 AM »
I have two Nikon Monarch 5.5X16.5X44 AO scopes that I would like to change to MIL-DOT reticles. Nikon USA tells me that they do not offer this service. Are any of you aware of anyone who might provide this service?
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline hotrunner

• Avid Poster
Re: New Reticles for Nikon scopes?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:38:42 AM »
Sorry, can't help you there. Even if you could find someone, I'll bet it wouldn't be cheap. I like those Nikons but my gripe has always been their lack of reticle choices and limited service, although I'm sure the newer Monarchs do offer a 4-16X with a Mil-Dot. Those great older Monarchs seem to re-sell well from what I've seen; that may be the only way to go. At first I thought my newer Monarch didn't have the build quality of my older "UCC", but over time it's proven to be equal; and the side focus is, to me, an improvement over AO.

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »
There may be 1 option. I bet Michael O'Donnell at TK Lee www.scopedot.com would do it. He just installs dots on a spider web framework, but he could easily do the mrad spacing between dots. The hard part would be getting the .2 mrad dot correct (basically a 3/4" dot would work fine probably).

Honestly though--the BDC reticle would work just as well probably for both downrange zeroing as well as rangefinding.

Offline bman940

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:56:19 AM »
SSCoyote speaks the truth about the BDC reticle. I would suggest selling it if you can't make the BDC work. Take a chance on having someone change the reticle and void the warranty....Not a gamble I would make. When you use your BDC scope  with Nikon's Spot On program (FREE) that you can get to by going to Nikonhunting.com
It is pretty cool what all you can do with this program plus you can print out whatever you might want for field/range use.
I and friends have used it accurately to 623 yards.
Check it out.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »
I have a thread just above regarding reviews of Nikon Prostaff/ Bushnell Trophy XLT scopes, and I am looking at the Nikon which HAS a mil-dot reticle. Midway has on sale 4 X12 Nikons w/ the mil dot. I am debating because I like the DOA bushnell reticle , but maybe you should check out Midway, they are on the cover on sale this month.
remember the starfish

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
I have two Nikon Monarch 5.5X16.5X44 AO scopes that I would like to change to MIL-DOT reticles. Nikon USA tells me that they do not offer this service. Are any of you aware of anyone who might provide this service?
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

why don't you just sell that off... and buy this one:
http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/monarch/4-16x42_Side_Focus_Mildot/8423

the difference of $$ between them might justify sending it to someone and having them mess with the scope, and possibly damaging the life-time warranty