Author Topic: Two 300+yrs old French cannon recovered, restored, and resold  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
This link opens an article (May, 2010) about two late 17th, or early 18th century bronze French cannon that were recovered off the Honduran coast in 1997. There may be a few things mentioned in this article that just don't smell all that sweet, but I'm only going to focus on one of them. I'll post the still photos, but open the link to read the article, and watch the video of the barrels restoration. I'm no scholar on bronze conservation, but I'm of the opinion that there are things being done to those barrels that would make a conservator at Texas A&M University holler stop! The small size of these interesting cannon (one's a breech loader) might suggest that they're swivel guns, but the larger barrel may have been used as a deck gun. 

http://www.nctimes.com/business/article_b869faaf-f53e-5fcf-aac5-cab0881c287e.html

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Two 300+yrs old French cannon recovered, restored, and resold
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:41:38 AM »
I have seen idiots destroy things earlier
but this must be the biggest idiot in the world
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:46:17 PM »
Air tools!?!  :o   

Wow. :(

Offline NinjaToes

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »
OMG they have no clue  :'(
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »
They will probally get their own TV show. :'(
Save Legionville

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:31:44 AM »
Upon first seeing the video my jaw dropped, I couldn't believe what this self taught conservator (maniac/butcher would be more appropriate titles) was having done to those barrels. I saw two power tools with steel wire brush attachments being used on the surface of those tubes, and it also looked like they were using steel scrapers. From the article, and also shown in the vid: "He used a wire brush to eliminate the worst of the outer rust on smooth parts of the cannons and a citric acid solution originally developed by the Navy to remove calcium deposits." Unbelievable!

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 03:11:49 PM »
So how should very old iron or very old bronze tubes be cleaned, if it has to be done?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 07:50:51 PM »
Mike,

This PDF gives a good description of the conservation undertaken on two bronze cannon recovered from the shipwreck (1742) of the Victory, commanded by Admiral Sir John Balchin.

http://www.shipwreck.net/pdf/OMEPapers16-FinalVictoryCannon2.pdf

This is also an excellent document for anyone that has an interest in the conservation of iron and/or bronze artifacts recovered from a marine environment.
Iron Conservation: Parts I & II, and Cupreous Metal (Copper, Bronze, Brass) Conservation.

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/crl/conservationmanual/ConservationManual.pdf

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »
I see a half moon figure in the bottom photo . It is on the left side of the crest , or am I seeing things ?
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:40 AM »
its 3 french lillies
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 03:57:50 AM »
first and most important if I understand it right is to keep the barrels for a year or two in destilled water to remove all salt from porosities in the material
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 04:43:40 AM »
Dan I don't think it is quite that simple.  I woulf probably be able to tell you all about it but the  Maritime  Museum was closed yesterdy.  They are doing the restoration on the Monitor and her XI Dalhgren shell guns

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 05:12:31 PM »
I dont know about iron , but for bronze thats an important step in the conservation process
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:14:37 PM »
I think it is even more important with iron.  I think they use a solution of washing soda and distilled water and hook up some kind of electrical supply to help.  And they change out the solution every now and then to get rid of the salt that has leached out.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 07:43:02 PM »
Dan,

From what I’ve managed to absorb (not much, I’m no chemist) from documents like these, is that the conservation treatment, or how the order of the steps used in the treatment are arranged, is entirely dependant on the condition of the specific bronze artifact being conserved. I think the desalination process that involves immersions in tap, distilled, and/or deionized water are usually, but not always used, and they aren’t always the first treatments used on the object being preserved.

We have a member (Bob Smith) who works in this field, and his wife Dr. Ruth Brown is an internationally known early cannon expert (especially early iron artillery).