Author Topic: installing open sights on HANDI BARREL  (Read 751 times)

Offline casca1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
  • Contributor
installing open sights on HANDI BARREL
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:34:03 PM »
Greetings,
This has probably been beaten to death on the forum, But what the hell I missed it.

I want to remove scope mount and install open sights on several HANDI BARRELS
308 winchester- 7mm08- 243 winchester

I have these scoped in a couple of encore barrels

I know how to mount the sights- want to know what sight sets that you are using ?  & where you got em from ?

HIGH HOPES & THANKS
CASCA1
Kerry
I DON'T WANT NO MORE ARMY LIFE
PLEASE SIR,
I WANNA GO HOME
1983-1990

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: installing open sights on HANDI BARREL
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:38:51 AM »
All but two on mine are scoped. Most guys scope them as well.

Some guys use peeps. If there barrel came with sites, they simply add one of the available peeps weather its a skinner (I think that they offer one) or Williams.

Recently there has been some interest in the Marbles buck peep. But that's a dovetail and only a couple handis come with a dovetail for the rear site.

If you look thru Brownells there is a plethora of sites available to the gun smith to fit to a barrel.

Good luck and post up what you do!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:32:02 AM »
Go to the Skinner site he has a calculator to explain how to determine sight height. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:22:33 AM »
My choice would be a rear peep, then you only have to decide on a front ramp & blade/bead or possibly the Rem. 700(?) ramp/front blade complete.
If you must have an open rear the Williams WGOS is a two screw D/T and looks good in combination with a front ramp set up.
Besides the two peeps mentioned there is also the nicely done one from Nodakspud (?) that should get more mention than it does.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Besides trying to navigate "Brownell's", try the MidwayUSA site
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:53:18 AM »
You Gentlemen might be interested in checking out what's listed at MidwayUSA - much, MUCH easier to navigate that site than the poorly organized Brownell's site in my opinion!

At MidwayUSA's, I find it is easy to look at various front and rear sight parts from William's and Marble's especially!

When deciding what you want your "open" or peep-sights to look like, and their heights, sometimes its a matter of choosing two or three parts to achieve that goal - for example, if one wants a from blade sight .470 or .500 inches high. 

It may be possible to buy a one-piece front fiber-optic front sight that is .470 inches high, but if one doesn't like a certain style-choice of the height is wrong, any number of "combinations" are possible to choose and match and fit together. 

To achieve that .470in high front sight one might find a fiber-optic sight like that, or one with a brass bead or white bead.  Or to achieve a .500in high front blade it may be necessary to first install a front ramp base .225in high (from Marble's I think), and then add a William's or Marble's dovetail front blade (fiber optic, white or brass bead) as close to .275in high, as possible or is available.

Similarly one can choose from an assortment of rear sights (complete assemblies or various parts to create your own).

Personally with aging eye sight I like red fiber-optic front blades that are 3/32in diameter - versus 1/16th inches diameter.  Also for rear peep-apertures I really like brass-highlighted "twilight" apertures.

If you decide to try to wade through the many MANY choices available for front and rear sight-possiblilities, one could spend considerable time looking at ALL of them!  So go equipped with a little bit of time (or lots of time) and some patience!

I can tell you that both Brownell's and MidwayUSA are good about taking back "returns" if one finds himself with parts he doesn't want to use and hasn't opened.