Author Topic: Properties of 4F powder; use for percussion cap filler/  (Read 483 times)

Offline cpileri

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Properties of 4F powder; use for percussion cap filler/
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:02:13 AM »
If you were the kind of guy making your own percussion caps, and was looking for something other than toy caps or match heads to fill them with, could you use FFFF black powder?

Does it have the impact sensitivity, flash (brisance), and produce enough flame to ignite a 2F or maybe 3F powder charge; when used in something the size of a percussion cap?

Anyone tried it?

Thanks!

C-
and that without them
we should have no knowledge of it at all."
~ Martin Luther

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Properties of 4F powder; use for percussion cap filler/
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »
Won't work. Put a little on an anvil and hit it with a hammer. It just gets flat but doesn't ignite. Now Armstrong's mixture, that's another animal. Be REALLY REALLY careful with primary explosives. 

Me, I just buy caps. They work great and I don't have to make them. Bought in bulk from Powder Valley they're not terribly expensive. Much less than getting my finger sewn back on after my batch of explosive mixture went off........
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Properties of 4F powder; use for percussion cap filler/
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 02:13:52 PM »
Never tried it, but if you used maybe 1 or 2 grains of 4F with a toy cap you might get the power you're looking for.  Me I'm a converted flinter.  They really are pretty dependable, even if they are finiky.  The only caps I use are on my Pedersoli Kodiak.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA