Author Topic: pan lubeing  (Read 1283 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
pan lubeing
« on: March 10, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
Can lyman alox lube sticks be melted in a microwave and poured into a pan to lube bullets safely?
Zacharoo

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: pan lubeing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
Yes, if you are careful and don't use the kind with graphite in it. That said, it is a FAR better practice to melt it in a double boiler. I have melted a lot of lubes in the microwave but would really rather not. My latest thing is a little coffee cup warmer that sits on my loading bench. It doesn't get very hot and won't burn the lube. Double boiler is still probably better/safer though.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Freightman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:57:20 AM »
I have found that with pan lubing with what ever lube you use to heat the lube and bullets to the same temp. Now here is how I do it, sit the bullets up level in a pan then pour in lube to desired height, after they have hardened I put the pan in my Bar-B-Q making sure it is level then bring the whole thing up to 300* and turn off and let cool, the sheet of lube will come out of the pan (almost every time) then you just push them through. I save the sheet of lube and put the same size bullets in for the next time. If the sheet doesn't come out then you will just have to pull them out making sure that you pull straight up. Having the bullets and lube the same temp seems to allow the lube to stick better.   

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:30:33 AM »
I melt my lube in pint canning jars and use a cheap candle warmer that Mama picked up at Odd Lots for $3 , I just set it on the night before and its melted when I'm ready to use it .

NOTE -- Lube with Grafite will Toast a Microwave -- Trust me on this one .  ;)  :(  >:(  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:41:09 AM »
Pan lubing was my first go round with cast bullets from a lee 1 cav. mold I would put bullets in a heavy pie tin melt lube with a hand torch in a can and pour let set, lee had a small hand tool to slip over the bullets to cut them out I don't even know if they make it anymore this was 40 years ago at least.

Them were the days.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:15:20 PM »
Look in the "frillies" department at WalMart and you'll find a miniature crock pot that is supposed to be used for potpourri. It works great for melting small batches of lube.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline kbstenberg

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 02:39:16 AM »
  They are rather expensive. But the new flexible bakeware is excellent for pan lubeing. But you can't put it on the burner or you will melt it.
  You have to melt the lube separately then pour it into the pan.
  Kevin

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 07:10:13 AM »
I set my bullets base down in a cake pan then I "chunk up" (break/cut into chunks) the lube and set it around the bullets (I haven't had any probs with regular commercial lube from Lyman or LAR's). Put the pan/bullets/lube in an oven @ 175 - 200 degrees, bullets and lube should be the same temp. As it melts, adjust the level of lube to cover lube grooves and after 15 or so minutes, remove from oven. When the lube is set but not cool, I can punch the bullets out of the lube (or for some sticky lube, I use a homemade cutter). Put new bullets in the holes left in the cake and repeat. Works for me... ;D

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
I pan lube using one of those square silicone bake pans,I use two old plastic 50 rd. ammo box holder glued together and drop all my bullets nose down in the hole.

I then hold the bullet holder in my hand and place the silicone pan on top and invert it and place it on a table top,I can then position the bullets in the pan where I want them.  I put them back to one corner to leave space to pour the lube.

I melt my lube on a hot plate on low in and old Aluminum coffee pot that has a pour spot on the side.  Once it's melt I can then pour it slowly into one corner of my pan till the lube grooves are covered.

Once it's cooled enough I flex the pan and take the cake out and place it on my cutting board,it's usually still warm.  Since I mainly do 38 cal. pistol bullets I use a once fired 35 Rem. case with a spring loaded plunger to cut out my bullets.

A little trick I learned on sizing pan lubed gas check or non gas check bullets which I do to clean them up before loading is run them through the Lee sizer on the second pass bullet base first into the die,any excess lube that is removed is piled up on the base of the bullet and easily wiped off instead of around the nose and crimp groove and make a cleaner looking bullet.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 03:58:47 PM »
In the interest of your domestic tranquility I recommend against using the kitchen appliances for these methods. Goodwill and St. Vincents have cheap cookware and a microwave in the garage beats the stink in the house which is a WILL, not if, happen.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 08:25:11 AM »
In the interest of your domestic tranquility I recommend against using the kitchen appliances for these methods. Goodwill and St. Vincents have cheap cookware and a microwave in the garage beats the stink in the house which is a WILL, not if, happen.

been there dun that do it out side or in your happy place (man cave )
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150