Author Topic: If you had to pistol whip an intruder. Steel or polymer ?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Woodsman1

• Trade Count: (0)
If you had to pistol whip an intruder. Steel or polymer ?
« on: April 22, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys I was just wondering what gun you guys use to pistol whip people with. I personally prefer a smith @ wesson model 629 with a 6.5" barrel. I just find the stainless steel frame and barrel length make a unbeatable combination. Polymer guns tend to break
on me . What do you guys use? LOL

Offline bkraft

• Avid Poster
Re: If you had to pistol whip an intruder. Steel or polymer ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »
 LEAD (6) 210 gr XTPs over 17.5 grains 2400. If it takes more than that I'm screwed. :'(
Knowledge is Power, the more you know the more you know.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
You're kidd'n right....I mean... this post is a joke....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 02:06:20 AM »
You're kidd'n right....I mean... this post is a joke....

............joke or mall ninja. ::)
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 02:59:29 AM »
Ummmm, Woodsman - ya'll do not whip or beat someone with a pistol and then expect to use it again, in fact, you do not whip or beat anyone with a pistol, you shoot them with a pistol. 

Whoever came up with this 'pistol whip' garbage is fulla crap.  It is pure bollywood nonsense.  If you want to try pistol whipping something then go buy a goat and try it on that - you will be surprised as to how much 'whuppin' it takes with a pistol to just subdue a goat, much less a human with a attitude.  The 'John Wayne' approach is pure John Wayne hollywood.  After you have tried to subdue the goat, try firing your pistol - if it even fires, try finding where the bullet went.

I tried that in Vietnam once, with a 4" Colt Python and it bent the barrel up and visibly out of alignment, and the cylinder would not revolve.  I sent it back to Colt for repair but they sent a replacement because the frame where the barrel screwed in was also bent and out of spec and I doubt it would have mattered if it was a S&W or a Colt. 

I also tried that once with a snubnose 38 only to have the cylinder jam up on me - now that was one lucky sob who finally crawled away from that encounter because once I found that after I had slammed the thing into his head and shoved it down his throat the cylinder would not revolve and I could not get a shot off, so I beat him with it until we were both bloody (all his) and I let him crawl away.  Then I had to get a new gun.

Don't waste your time thinking about 'whuppin' someone with a pistol because by the time you finish considering how to whup'm you may realize you should have shot'm instead.  jmtcw.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 05:38:46 AM »
HUMMM--WELL, just HUMMMM.
I never did fight good. I think this is a misguided post and I agree with most here---just Hollywood talk.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:45:44 AM »
That depends, with or without the bayonete?

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
Mikey knows of what he speaks - I don't know why, but a revolver or 1911 will cut a person's head extremely well but you'll play hell putting anyone down.  A rock, pool cue or similar item will put ya to sleep in short order but you better pack a lunch if your intent is to copy the ole Duke in those western movies.  (It does save you getting a swollen hand and raw knuckles & that is worth something)

Offline Woodsman1

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 01:26:39 PM »
Thanks all for the great replies ! Keep em comming. Embrace the funny side !
I do it better outdoors !

Offline us920669

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
I suggest the butt end of a Single Action Army, just for old times sake.  My weapon of choice would be a 1/2" drive breaker bar, Snap On definitely better than Mac.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
  Did anyone suggest Louisville Slugger ?..just asking ;)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline hillbill

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 02:26:16 PM »
prob a ruger single action revolver but id imagine the best one would be either a colt dragoon or a 45/70 revolver

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
In my experience-----------when you're fighting for your life, a pistol punch or strike is quite effective. If the pistol is not operational as a projectile weapon, it can make a damn good club. When push comes to shove, you use what you have.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »
in encore 15" bull barrel 22 short if i had to pick one  ;D
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline Pinkerton

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 07:41:40 PM »
I had read a bit up on Wyatt Erp some years ago and he was given a Colt SSA with 12" barrel by Batt Masterson and the pistol was refered to as the "buntline special" if I remember correctly.
Supposedly Wyatt Erp had only ever shot one man in all his days by the time he passed away in 1929.
Well if you watch the two latest Hollywood renditions about him, he's protrayed as being very cool headed and able to walk strait up to a man without a bit of hesitation in a confrontation, which may be correct, supposedly he would walk right up close eye to eye at a hand slaps distance draw and bring that 12 incher across the guy's temple to subdue em without firing a shot. Probably from behind as well at times I'm sure. But that's the only pistol whippin story I can pull out of my head... Other than once I pissed my sister off so bad when I was 10 that she threw a Daisy BB gun at me! If I ever get in a situation like that, I like my guns too much to use em like a club. Guns are for shootin and fists are for hittin, or other suitable objects.

And Holy Crap Mikey, you evidently seen some violent times!! :o

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 11:56:02 PM »
Well since this is kinda a joke topic I'll bring up the joke that kinda goes around in my circle.  The only pistol you would need to pistol whip someone with is a Hi-point usually because it has jammmed on you, the only good side to it is they have enough weight in the slide alone where you'd only have to hit somebody once lol. Also the other joke going around is that hi-point is the only company that makes a 380 that'll go through a windsheild every single time you through the gun at the windsheild with as much metal that's in the slide if you have enough arm to throw it.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 05:16:47 AM »
For me someone that is an intruder, it is not a joking matter what so ever.  So pistol wiping is not an option. The only option is for them to be shot!
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »
How about one of those flare piustols found on boats ?  It wouldn't have the penetration of a .44 mag..but it could make things hot for the intruder... ;) :D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 04:56:15 AM »
How about one of those flare piustols found on boats ?  It wouldn't have the penetration of a .44 mag..but it could make things hot for the intruder... ;) :D

I don't think I'd shoot that off inside my house,  I know a guy (local pawn shop owner) who was shot with one by an armed robber, it bounced off his chest and caused a fire in the shop, His 1911 was much better at ending the fight and freeing up his attention to fight the fire.  The flair gun left a mark like a paintball.

I think in real life, the old west lawmen held thier pistols by the barrel and struck their opponent from behind with the butt of the gun like with a hammer, this prevented damage to the working mechanism of the revolver, the practice was called "buffaloing" and was often used to subdue beligerent drunks.  Wyatt Earp never carried a "Buntline Special" Ned Buntline was an Eastern Newspaper writer who had the pistols special ordered from Colt.  He offered one to Earp as a gift in hopes of selling more papers and dime novels and attaching his name to Earps fame.  Wyatt Earp allegedly refused the gift.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 05:31:04 AM »
Ummmm, Woodsman - ya'll do not whip or beat someone with a pistol and then expect to use it again, in fact, you do not whip or beat anyone with a pistol, you shoot them with a pistol. 

Whoever came up with this 'pistol whip' garbage is fulla crap.  It is pure bollywood nonsense.  If you want to try pistol whipping something then go buy a goat and try it on that - you will be surprised as to how much 'whuppin' it takes with a pistol to just subdue a goat, much less a human with a attitude.  The 'John Wayne' approach is pure John Wayne hollywood.  After you have tried to subdue the goat, try firing your pistol - if it even fires, try finding where the bullet went.

I tried that in Vietnam once, with a 4" Colt Python and it bent the barrel up and visibly out of alignment, and the cylinder would not revolve.  I sent it back to Colt for repair but they sent a replacement because the frame where the barrel screwed in was also bent and out of spec and I doubt it would have mattered if it was a S&W or a Colt. 

I also tried that once with a snubnose 38 only to have the cylinder jam up on me - now that was one lucky sob who finally crawled away from that encounter because once I found that after I had slammed the thing into his head and shoved it down his throat the cylinder would not revolve and I could not get a shot off, so I beat him with it until we were both bloody (all his) and I let him crawl away.  Then I had to get a new gun.

Don't waste your time thinking about 'whuppin' someone with a pistol because by the time you finish considering how to whup'm you may realize you should have shot'm instead.  jmtcw.

Great response!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 01:37:08 PM »
I prefer a Louisville Slugger for beatings and save the pistol for shootings.   ::)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
If an intruder needs a pistol whipping then he should have already been "stopped" by available means.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 02:10:45 AM »
antis watch posts like this and use them to sterotype gun owners.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 06:08:23 AM »
  Let's feed the antis some real ridiculous junk...an anti tank  RPG shot from a .22 rifle...a .380 hollow point carrying botulism...and here's a good one; a 90,000 watt laser that shoots down airplanes..and doing it on one  AA battery !!

Offline alacharger

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 02:09:41 AM »
If you'll use +P+ Uranium tips, you seldom have to resort to pistol whippings. ;)
Approach every man with a smile on your face and homicide in your heart. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 12:55:58 PM »
Last time I had to pistol whip somebody, it was my next door neighbor's daughter - she had gone berserk, so I beat her senseless with my 81mm mortar tube, which I usually carry in a shoulder holster in cold weather.  I switch to a M60 short barrel machine gun in an inside the waist band holster for warmer weather.  I coil the 250 round belt in my left rear pocket and simply pull a tee-shirt over the butt stock.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 02:44:51 AM »
32 magnum:  Hmmmm, from berserk to senseless with a hollow tube - not bad.  Was she a librul gone to rant over a hobama slight???  Ya done good son..............

Offline Dee

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 03:06:39 AM »
Well, actually I knew a Chief Criminal Investigator that used a satin nickel Combat Commander more for a bludgeon than shooting. I've also seen a couple of Smiths that were used like wise and kept right on tickin. I once chased a dope dealer up the steps of an old apartment building, and beating me to the door he locked it behind him. Unfortunately for him, the door was of the old beveled glass-wood frame variety. In the heat of the moment, and a measurable amount of anger, I used a new Model 19 Smith to beat a rather large hole in the glass that I stepped thru. Had some gouges in the finish, but once again shot as good as ever. The stupid part was I had a Kel-Light flash light in my left hand, but alas the Smith was in my right hand, and I am right handed. The upside is, I got the guy, and the dope.
So the moral of my experience is: I don't recommend it, but it does happen. As for pistol whippin an intruder, I think not. I think an intruder deserves a coroner.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
32 magnum:  Hmmmm, from berserk to senseless with a hollow tube - not bad.  Was she a librul gone to rant over a hobama slight???  Ya done good son..............

Of course it was an H&R made mortar tube - no visible signs of damage because of superior construction techniques and outstanding material.  ::) Actually she was 8 years old and had gone berserk because her parents wouldn't take her to MacDonalds, as advised by the First Lady. >:( :o :'(
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012