Author Topic: First cast load today  (Read 521 times)

Offline Robert lehman

• Trade Count: (0)
First cast load today
« on: April 10, 2011, 05:14:02 PM »
Shot my 30-06 today first time shooting this gun and first time shooting cast bullets in a center fire. My load is Lee C309-170-f with gas check and lube weighs 183 grn lube is home brew powder is 18 grn of Alliant powder. I shot 16 rounds 10 straight no lose in accuracy ran a patch threw the gun with butches bore cleaner patch came out gray and a dry patch it had a little bit of gray on it. The end of muzzle had gray streaks and i could see smoke threw the scope when shooting. Shot 6 more rounds accuracy never changed. I held a 2" 6 shot group at a 100 yrds. Now the question is this what  is called leading or is a little gray normal. And am i right to thank the lube is failing and creating the smoke or is that normal? Sorry for all the newbie question just trying to figure this out.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: First cast load today
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »
 What was the lube? Some lubes are NOT meant for fast rifle speeds or long barrels. IF the gray comes out easily then you don't have much of a problem. Not knowing WHICH alliant powder used is another ? as some are smokier than others. That gray MAY have been powder fouling OR leading. You may have got the barrel quite hot shooting 16 shots in a hurry, but I doubt that would cause leading. I am glad you took the plunge and started using cast. Now the real fun begins for you. New molds and alloys AND lube experiences are right around the corner!

Offline Robert lehman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: First cast load today
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »
Lube was something i threw together so i could shoot. It was 1cup toilet bowl wax 2/3 cup Vaseline 1 teaspoon ultra slick 2 teaspoon LLA 1/3 cup cheap candle wax 1 cup K guard hand soap 1 teaspoon RCBS case lube. Powder is 2400  it is old an say's Hercules on the container. The 16 shot weren't consecutive i used 10 shots shooting two other groups and i let the gun cool down and shot the last group using 6 shots. Gun never did get that hot. Alloy that i am using is air cooled wheel weights.