Author Topic: Rossi in .308?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Cpl Kendall

• Trade Count: (0)
Rossi in .308?
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »
Hey all.

I'm looking at a Rossi .308 break open, pretty sure it's a R308MB for 259.95$ CDN and it seems a good deal. Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about the brand and the internet appears to have failed me in regards to reviews.

I'm mainly wondering if there durable. It's intended use would be for deer hunting, and I would scope it but if it falls apart after a few years, it's not much good to me.

So guys, what do you think?

May we never forget, our young become vets.
~Terry Kelly, A Pittance of Time

Offline Littlepage

Re: Rossi in .308?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »
That's about 264. US.  I payed less than that for mine used and  it came with a 12 Ga barrel.  It shoots OK.  I've shot one deer with it.  If I was going to pay that much I'd get a Rossi Wizard or a H&R.

Offline Cpl Kendall

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 04:16:30 PM »
I think we kinda get hosed on gun prices up here compared to you guys.

An H&R will run me about a hundred more then the Rossi, not that I particularly mind, I have one of their .22's and a .410.

Offline Littlepage

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:32:42 PM »
a hundred more.  wow!

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 05:37:17 PM »
Get the H&R. It's U.S. made, and H&R is now owned by Big Green (Remington).
H&R's are accurate rifles, the only downside to the H&R's is that to get additional barrels, your supposed to send the receiver back to the factory to have the new barrels fitted. But if you read the threads on the NEF/H&R forum, you'll find out this isn't 100% true.

I know Canada really hit's you guys hard on American made goods, a Canadian friend that I met last year told me that he paid approximately $5,000 (not sure if this is accurate) more for his car that what he could have got it for in the US.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »
I had one for about 2 years, it was the most brutally recoiling gun I have ever shot. It ate 3 scopes before I put a Bushnell Banner shotgun scope on it. I sold it and bought a Stevens 308 bolt action.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Cpl Kendall

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »
I had one for about 2 years, it was the most brutally recoiling gun I have ever shot. It ate 3 scopes before I put a Bushnell Banner shotgun scope on it. I sold it and bought a Stevens 308 bolt action.

I actually stumbled across a 7.62x39 Baikal, so I picked it up instead. Saves me a bit on ammo as my wife already has an SKS.

Get the H&R. It's U.S. made, and H&R is now owned by Big Green (Remington).
H&R's are accurate rifles, the only downside to the H&R's is that to get additional barrels, your supposed to send the receiver back to the factory to have the new barrels fitted. But if you read the threads on the NEF/H&R forum, you'll find out this isn't 100% true.

I know Canada really hit's you guys hard on American made goods, a Canadian friend that I met last year told me that he paid approximately $5,000 (not sure if this is accurate) more for his car that what he could have got it for in the US.

Well we pay higher taxes, 13% as opposed to whatever you guys pay. Sometimes, depending on the exchange rate it's cheaper for me to order things from the US and hope that Customs aren't being tools when it comes through.