Author Topic: Cabela's Recon Hunt for droid phones  (Read 1138 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Cabela's Recon Hunt for droid phones
« on: March 10, 2011, 02:12:29 AM »
I am looking at  Cabela's Recon Hunt for my droid phone and am wondering if anyone had used it and how does it work

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cabela's Recon Hunt for droid phones
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:43:49 AM »
Very interesting concept, my first thought is if one would be in range of those cell phone towers. I am ok in my current location but I also have access to some prime ground some hundred miles south of me where those towers are out of range.

The term GPS when it comes to the likes of cell phones could be misleading. Take my Samsung for example, it came with the automotive type of gps but this is actually a loran signal that is decipered through the cell phone towers. (read no actual log-on to the satellites)

Your phone provider also will want to charge you for the so called GPS usage?...$9.00 per month in my case and I let it expire after the trial period as one can easily save enough to purchase a dedicated GPS unit for the auto or a decent hand held gps unit for the field in a timely manner for the subscription cost savings that I do not pay.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:42:59 AM »
I have been watching the reviews and most of them say it is mostly an ad for cabalas,  that would be fine if it was a free app.

I have alps that show satellite locations and I also have a check box that will let me use triangulation. To make the gps more accurate. So I am thinking I have a true gps recover built in my phone.
my druid 2 had google maps that work with gps and is very accurate. When in a large building and good signal it has showed me what section. Of the building I am in and it works great with the driving as well.  I can. Switch to aeral. View and see what is around me. I used it the other day on a walk and was able to find a hidden pond back in the woods. The only bad thing with google maps is that I can not save a location and go back to it.

Verizon also has a gps app and runs like$ 10 a month but it isn't needed with google maps

I am still looking for a good app that let's me mark way points and leads me back again

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:38:02 AM »
While it was easy to find that add and read the details, I did not really see or look for a download tab. I looked at that price a few times, Under $5.00???

Sounds like your phone is a good one with it being worth loading the Recon Hunt app just to give it a try. I did see cautions on GPS usage and batterys but
This is common for most all units.