Author Topic: Stainless steel Mortar ?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline NinjaToes

• Trade Count: (0)
Stainless steel Mortar ?
« on: March 25, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »
I was wondering is stainless steel Grade 304 or 316 suitable grade for a GB mortar ? I found a guy somewhat local to me who makes them. Thanks for any info you can provide me with.

Cheers
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Stainless steel Mortar ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 04:36:34 PM »
As long as you stick to golf balls, almost anything would be sufficient, even a banded wooden tube.  I have one in stainless (alloy unknown) and its outstanding characteristic is that it cleans up faster than anything else I have.  The real question is "is it strong enough for heavier projectiles like one pound lead sinkers or the Fox 'golf' balls?"  If you build to a little heavier proportion than exact scale, you will have a larger safety factor.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Stainless steel Mortar ?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 05:18:50 PM »
You pose a good question.

Most stainless steels because of the alloying are stronger than mild steels.

To me the real question is how the various stainless varities will handle repeated firings - that is ductility, the resistance to cracking.  Worth the time to research it.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)