Author Topic: A new AR-15 for coyote`s  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Deadeye63

• Trade Count: (0)
A new AR-15 for coyote`s
« on: April 15, 2011, 05:40:58 PM »
Been wanting a tack driver in .223 for coyote`s and that occasional prairie dog that just needs it. I think I`ve got it narrowed down to a couple choices. Just need a little advice to nudge me into dropping the coin. I`ll be shooting from a bench rest most of the time I just want to buy a ready to go rifle, put better than average optics on it and enjoy the heck out of it of course treating it with the love and care that it deserves. I like the Rock River Arms 24" Varmint w/ 1:8 twist. I also like the DPMS Panther Bull special 24" w/ 1:9 twist. The price is comparable so no biggie. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I know I`ll have to feed it a varied diet until I find what it likes. 
If indeed I am made in "God`s" image, Then I am beneath NO MAN regardless of how he is thought of.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: A new AR-15 for coyote`s
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 06:08:01 PM »
Go with the slower twist, varmint bullets are on the lighter end of the bullet spectrum.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 10:40:37 PM »
try the rock river with the 20 inch stainless bull barrel 1-9  twist standard trigger. most accurate gun i have ever shot you can shoot the eye out  of yote at 100 yards if you do your part aussume gun. i have done it and im 62 63 in may even old guys can do it you will be surprized.have agreat week end.

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 06:34:50 AM »
I bought a DPMS Prairie Panther. It was the lightest 20" barreled AR I held. Even lighter than some 16"s.

http://www.gunblast.com/DPMS-PrairiePanther.htm

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 06:56:03 AM »
Without looking up the specs of the listed guns I would put the most weight on the gun with the best trigger. I own a DPMS and have been satisfied with it, save the trigger. The standard trigger is pretty lousy, so make sure the specs include an upgraded trigger.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »
The DPMS PP has an enlarged trigger guard and a tested 4lb trigger. In my opinion it is a good hunting trigger and way better than my buds Ar.

Offline Deadeye63

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »
Oh, Absolutely on the trigger job and as I intend to shoot 98/99% of the time from a bench I`ll be looking at a Bi-Pod and for the scope? Well I want to be able to see with pinpoint clarity as to where I want to place the bullet. Adding it all up in my head, OH MAN! my wifes gonna freak but I earned it so I`m gonna spend some of it heh-heh! I have read a lot of interesting info concerning the AR`s and Geez! there`s a lot to take in.   
If indeed I am made in "God`s" image, Then I am beneath NO MAN regardless of how he is thought of.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:49:56 PM »
I can't give you any advise about the black rifles. I don't know much at all about them but I'm about to learn because one followed me home last Tuesday. I brought home a S&W M&P 15OR. I prowled around on the internet and found a lot of good words about S&Ws and also Stag and Bushmaster. I also found out quite a bit about replacement triggers and there are some good ones available. $120 seems to be the starting point and then it's how much you want to spend. A couple of my coyote hunting friends switched to ARs last year and I couldn't stand it any longer. I got a short, light one because I just can't pack around a lot of weight anymore. I hung up my Ruger #1. Heavy rascal.

Offline kctibs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 03:40:26 AM »
Either would be a good choice.  I would go with the 1:9 twist.  Although I don't think you will be getting many coyotes spending 98 to 99% of your time on a bench.  Whatever you do enjoy and have fun.  You will catch the black rifle bug.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Deadeye63

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 06:18:57 AM »
The bench I am referring to is a secret for now SHHHH! :-X

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 06:41:47 AM »
This would be my choice for bench. http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=211
I would stay 1-8. If you ever want to go long range it is hard to beat a rifle that will launch 75 gr bergers or 77 gr sierra match kings. Mine does fine with 55 and 60 gr bullets. I think I am just running remington bulk 55 gr as my varmint rounds. The v max bullets I use are 60 gr. Anything over 300 yards are berger 75 gr vld match I believe. Just about any ar will give you sub moa groups with the right round.
Molon labe

Offline Deadeye63

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 10:12:16 AM »
Yeah, I`m re-evaluating now. I really like the camo bushmaster`s and DPMS`s prairie panthers too, now I`m wondering just what the differences are between the 20 inchers and the 24`s. I mean does`nt it really just come down to buy what looks good to ya, take it to the field, and find what ever level it`s capable of shooting at Yes? Oh so many choices kinda makes the head spin and makes ya want to say WHEEEEEEE!  ;D

Offline Deadeye63

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »
 I have read about shooting a heavier or is it a longer? bullet from a faster twist. And You know I think your right a 1:8 twist seems to be right in the middle and should allow for a pretty wide range of bullet weight in .223. What does the difference in barrel length 20" or 24" do? just increase velocity?

Offline Bugflipper

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 06:24:59 AM »
Yeah just increases the velocity with the longer barrel. It would give a little better trajectory and a little less wind drift. Also of coarse increases weight with the longer barrel. Predators probably won't care for the ss barrels reflecting the sun. No big deal you can wrap camo cloth over it. Longer barrels are also a little slower to get on target for offhand shooting. I use a 16" m-4 profile barrel for predator hunting. Light weight for walking and quick for target acquisition. No prairie dogs here though so no need for bench hunting. Shorter barrels are more accurate than longer ones of the same diameter. I doubt it would be much to worry with on 20-24". 16 vs. 24" may be a different story. Those barrels are stiff enough though that the 24" will most likely be under an inch group.

Some of the fellows on this board have those Remingtons. They are made by Bushmaster and are touted as some good little rigs by the members who have them. I do have a bushy but not a Remington. Have been pleased with it just like the other brands. It is just the collapsing stock m-4 style. Another thing you may want to consider is the 2 stage triggers. Some folks hate them and some folks love them. For the most part they have a long pull, then when you take up the slack they are very light and break crisply. They are good for target. But not so good for getting off a quick second shot. I shoot slow so I don't care one way or another. My home defense gun does have a single stage trigger though just in case it has to shoot fast.

It's really hard to find a bad AR in the free float name brands you are looking at. Just find one that fits your needs the best. Not trying to step on any toes but the DPMS used to have tight chambers a few years back. If you lean that way you may want to check with fellows here and see if they are getting any jams with .223 factory loads. I never really kept up with them after they refused to listen to the consumers and make their guns function properly. They could have cleared it up by now for all I know.
Molon labe

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 06:45:53 AM »
Go with the slower twist, varmint bullets are on the lighter end of the bullet spectrum.

dosen't a slower twist work better for heavy bullets  ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 06:54:53 AM »
I got a Remington R-15 topped with a Elite 4-16x50 with a bi-pod and it has shot at least 20 yotes from 250-350yds.  Trigger is not what I would call great, but reasonable, and easily replaced if desired.  Very accurate gun, finally settled on 60gr V-Maxs pushed with H-335 to be deadly accurate out past 400.  The camo pattern is what sold me, as I want it for predator hunting.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 02:14:46 AM »
personaly id look at the rra 20 inch bull gun. the 24 inch guns are what i consider stationary guns. there good to set up in a blind or off a bench and thats about it. To me my ars have to at least do double duty. I want one i can hunt with and still be a handy self defense gun. Idealy a coyotte gun for me would be a bull barrled 20 inch flutted gun. My personal coyotte gun right now is a 16 inch stainless 16 inch a4 1in7  barrelled gun with a colt lower. Its had a trigger job and wears a 4x trijicon acog. Gun shoots 60 grain vmaxs into 5/8s inch at a 100 and 60 partitions into an inch both to the same point of aim. I load it with vmaxs for 4 legged varmits and partitions for the two legged. the acog works great for both purposes too. I have 4 other ars but if i had to grab a gun and go that would be the one.
blue lives matter

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 10:26:42 AM »
It's be a close call, but I'd lean toward the RRA if you want a gun that shoots very well right out of the box. I have owned a couple DPMS rifles and only one didn't really "need" a trigger job.   I think the RRA Varmint A4's come with the RRA two stage match trigger in it and that adds a lot of value and time savings.  At the same time though after you do a trigger job to a DPMS they shoot incredibly well.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 03:29:56 AM »
Shootal the slower the twist the lighter the bullet it will stabilise. It actually has more do with bullet length. But most of the time shorter bullets are lighter.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Bugflipper

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 04:23:48 AM »
Maximum bullet weight for .223 by twist rate.
1:14" 55gr  1:12" 65gr  1:9" 73gr  1:8" 80gr  1:7" 90gr
Molon labe