Author Topic: .204 Brass vs. oversize chamber  (Read 406 times)

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
.204 Brass vs. oversize chamber
« on: March 29, 2011, 05:04:41 AM »
Since reading the Range Report thread in which the topic cam up about oversize chambers, I decided to do some digging into my .204 brass . I noticed that factory hornady brass , is hardly noticable compared to my winchester brass . So I broke out the calipers and measured :Winny new brass case head is .3725, fired hornady .374 ,directly under the rim is new winny .3695 , fired winny .370 , fired hornady .372 . The largest point in the bulge : fired hornady .376 , fired winny .377 . cartridge dimension for this area is supposed to be .3764 . Seems like my brass is actually undersize , with winny being the worse . Does anyone have any new hornady or remington brass they can measure ?? It definately seems the hornady is closer to spec , and probably all around better brass , but I can buy it as loaded ammo almost as cheap as brass !! The other post was about .243 and considering its been around forever , I doubt its the brass but you never know .

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: .204 Brass vs. oversize chamber
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
Unless your having trouble with the brass or are getting into benchrest competition I would not be concerned. I play with alot of wildcat so I end up with alot of brass that is alot farther from what the book says it should be and still get excellant accuracy from it, and that is what it`s all about. Good quality brass is usually worth the extra cost for both accuracy and case life though.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:03:20 AM »
+1 that; if it is a hunting rifle and not causing you issues, dont get anal about measurements, it can just make you fret stuff other than proper shooting technique (dont ask how I know...).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:54:11 AM »
Yeh , I'm not worried about it , it shoots good , just curious if Remington or Federal brass is any larger in diameter . Thanks