Author Topic: Found wild asparagus this week  (Read 963 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Found wild asparagus this week
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:43:05 AM »
Noticed the ferns along the roadside and returned to see if it was asparagus.  It was.  Too late to cut this season.  What should I do next?  There are in a rather public area and in a weedy location.  I could fertilize them without drawing much attention.  I could move them, or I can mark my calander for March 2012 and just enjoy them.  Only about eight stalks this year.  Will they multiply?

The ferns are still green.  Do I remove them once they die?

Offline Rex in OTZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Found wild asparagus this week
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:34:03 AM »
The folks in past just marked the spot and kept hitting all the spots they see where they seeded out
since you missed keep looking, ther may be some late ones ya just have to look for the shoots, northern Nebraska was lousey with wild asparagus, what helps is print a Google map of your area and drive round and mark the ferns, next spring get a jump, the townies used to come out to the rural areas and pick, just ask the farmer/rancher if its ok to look, most folks dont care if they know what your doing and not destroying anything.  Happy Hunting! ;D

Offline Rex in OTZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Found wild asparagus this week
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »
some parts of praire hay meddows were great for the plant. pastures also, ranchers havent put the cows out yet, we always brought home asparagus and morrels when fixing fence before letting out stock cows for graze.