Author Topic: Alaska: The most Patriotic state?  (Read 424 times)

Offline WylieKy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Alaska: The most Patriotic state?
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/31/alaska-consider-lowering-drinking-age-troops/?test=latestnews

Nearly every bill or proposal I see out of Alaska just makes sense.  They also seem to go more hand in hand with what I feel in my hear is right and that our founding fathers would have felt was just.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but this seems to be the overwhelming rule.
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
Re: Alaska: The most Patriotic state?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »
I agree 100% If you are old enough to be sent somewhere to fight and die then you are damn sure old enough to have a drink.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:00:16 PM »
Funny thing. Back in those days we had a draft.  Men and women 18 or older were allowed to vote and drink.  They did away with 18 year old drinking and the draft.  They continue to vote at 18 years of age.  They are a powerful voting block putting president Obama over the top in the last election.  You just never know what a new law will do. ;)

Offline Shu

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 02:29:35 AM »
I enlisted at 17, I couldn't vote but could drink on base only, the drinking age in town was 21.

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:31:30 AM »
 shue ,,this brings back memories..but i still think 17 is just too young for most kids to be in the military..been there myself..

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »
Wasn't  Audie Murphy  17 years old in WW11? He was the most decorated hero of that war.

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »
Murphy was a great American war hero, but there were some amazing heroes in other countries too. By far, the most amazing to me is this man...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:59:18 PM »
Alaska's drinking age was 19 when I came to Alaska in 1971.  By the time Air Force personnel were able to get and assignment to Alaska they were at least 19, usually older.  I was 21 in March and arrived in Alaska in May of the same year.  Alaska was an Over Seas assignment and one had to have a 5 level before coming here.  That usually took two years. So it was not a problem since everyone was of drinking age when they arrived.

I went into the Air Force at the age of 18.  Got to California and could not drink off base, but was able to sit down and have a beer after work at the AAFES Snack Bar.  Was also able to go to the Airman's club and have a drink of anything I wanted.  State Law was not enforced on base.  Yes I did get blitzed a few times, but my older friends took care of me.  That's the way it was back then in the military.  I've turned many a young, passed out, drunk, over onto his face, so he would not drown when he threw-up.  Part of dorm (AF for Barracks) life. 

I became an NCO at the tender age of 20.  Still could not drink off base, yet I could lead a squad of men in battle.  I felt discriminated against by the State Of California.

I have always said if a man is old enough to carry a gun, he or she is old enough to drink.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.